Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive starting to get weak at ejecting discs?

I have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J from a MBP that I bought around 2007 I think. I'm sure in computer years, it's getting on in its age. Anyway, I rent a LOT of DVDs and CDs from the library, so I don't know if it's a combination of these discs possibly being a bit thicker than normal (they used to have theft-deterrent strips on them, but no longer, so I don't know if there's other secret stuff on them now) but I'm noticing that the discs simply aren't ejecting easily. Usually have to catch them with my fingernails and grab the disc before it gets pulled back in, or in most cases, the disc barely ejects and I have to eject repeatedly until it somehow gets enough of a push to pop out.

Is the drive wearing out? I've been researching how to eject stuck discs for the inevitable day when the disc simply won't do anything, but if the actual ejector is weak, then how will force ejecting even work? While a CD in my computer would be quite the bother, I'm more concerned about it being a library disc that I'll have to pay beaucoup bucks for to replace.

Any advice?

Also, does "drutil eject" still work these days? Not sure if that's an old command or what.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:34 PM

"drutil eject" still works, but it sounds as if you're nearing a mechanical failure with the drive. You can have Apple replace the drive - very expensive - or you can purchase a new SuperDrive from Other World Computing and install it yourself. I wouldn't wait too long - you may end up with a stuck library disc and either have to disassemble the machine or take it to Apple to retrieve it.

Clinton

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2012 10:34 PM in response to keraunoscopia

"drutil eject" still works, but it sounds as if you're nearing a mechanical failure with the drive. You can have Apple replace the drive - very expensive - or you can purchase a new SuperDrive from Other World Computing and install it yourself. I wouldn't wait too long - you may end up with a stuck library disc and either have to disassemble the machine or take it to Apple to retrieve it.

Clinton

Sep 13, 2016 9:53 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

May as well add a nearly four-year-later reply... the drive still works to this day and I believe that the issue I was having was due to the frame of the MBP being bent because I would sometimes lean onto the computer or pick it up momentarily on the right hand, front side. I resolve the issue every so often by lifting up within the disc insert slot to "bend" the MBP back. It's all invisible to the naked eye but I believe this is the issue! 😀

SuperDrive starting to get weak at ejecting discs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.