Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud says my email is already taken because I had a .mac account

Hi,

Long, long years ago I had a .mac account. I kept it for a while but then I just didn't pay it and I assume it got canceled. I didn't need it ever only that yesterday I bought a Macbook Air with Mountain Lion. Now when I want to set up the email and the notes on the iCloud, it won't let me create the address I want to because, I presume, it's remembering the .mac address that I stop using almost 8 years ago.

What can I do?

Please help, thank you so much!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 11:59 PM

1 reply

Oct 1, 2012 12:23 AM in response to cosmovart

You should be able to reactivate the old address and use it to open an iCloud account - sign out of the present account and sign in with this address (you will need its original password). You will probably find the the @mac.com version won't work - the @me.com version may and the @icloud.com version should, but you'll need to experiment. Enable Mail etc. in the checklist.

You can then either use this as your account, or sign out and back in with the ID you were using before, then add the ex-MobileMe one in System Preferences>Mail, Contacts and Calendars.

iCloud says my email is already taken because I had a .mac account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.