Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option-Command-P-R, produces, only, dark, screen, and, repeating, chime. Would, anyone, be, familiar, with, this, happening.

Option-Command-P-R, produces, only, dark, screen, and, repeating, chime. Would, anyone, be, familiar, with, this, happening?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), eMac (2) 80GB & 160GB

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:57 AM

14 replies

Oct 1, 2012 4:45 AM in response to roam

I did A 35 pass erase, loaded Leopard disc, froze, 1st attempt, 2nd attempt, install sucessful. Unit, would not restart. (gray st'rt up screen and timer) Opened, terminal, ran, fsck -f, and got, this / "Localhost rpc.statd[81] unable to open status file /var/db/statd.status". This repeated, with the number in brackets increasing each time. When, I try to zap, PRAM, I get start up note, with dark screen, only, with note repeating, endless. Whadda ' ya, think ? O' by the, way, thanks , for the assist attempt.

Oct 1, 2012 4:58 AM in response to MKE123

loaded Leopard disc

Is this a retail Leo disk or the grey system disk from another Mac? Some of that sounds like it may be the latter.

Continuing to hold the "Zap the PRAM" key combo normally results in repeating chimes. If you let go the keys and the chiming continues, that's not normal. I usually hold until I hear a total of three chimes, then let go and let booting proceed.

Oct 1, 2012 10:13 AM in response to roam

I, option-ed, to install DVD, (Leopard) ran, repair disc, and, permiss, repair, and, I'm now installing, once, again. Unit, (eMac, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 160GB HD) would not, start up after, 1st attempt to install, (only gray Apple screen and timer, for too long) I, did Otion-Command-O-F to reset, nvram, and that worked, so we'll see soon. Thanks, for your interest, and I'll post result, as soon, as it's in. Thanks again.

Oct 1, 2012 1:09 PM in response to Allan Jones

It's, up and, running ! I'd, use that, other, "L" word, (u know) but, I, really, really, really, "like", Apple! It, just, seems if you do, the right, thing, at, the right, time, "bam" , they work! It, did, freeze, once, but, after, A, optional, install, and permission repair, it seems, to be OK, now. Thanks, for sharing. AND, THIS,...... - WOULD ANYONE KNOW ALL THE INTEL FILES THAT ARE NOT USED BY THE POWER PC PLATFORM, I'D, LIKE TO GET RID, OF THEM. THEY JUST TAKE UP SPACE ON THE HD. I DUMPED THE FILES (INTEL) IN, System/Library/Extentions, and, (another eMac, I've, got 6, yes count'em six!) and, it, really, seems, to run, smoother, really. I, just remember, reading, somewere, can't, remember, where, that, there, are, a few that share, functions. I think, it was, some, bluetooth, files, but, I'm not, sure, and, I, have not been able to scrounge, up that kind of data, please let me know if you have A link for this, or something, similar. Great, communicatinng with you all, thanks, for the, input!

Oct 2, 2012 7:30 AM in response to MKE123

OK. I've only one Mac left running Leopard but it's a multiple-boot machine that is running 10.4 most of the time. I'll have to go boot it into 10.5 and have a look.

However, from a historical standpoint, a full retail install disk is designed to install only the components a specidic model needs. Example, it would not install power management components that a laptop needs if you install it on a desktop Mac.

Still, I'll look this morning at ours as see what they are.

I'm suspecting they are important.

Oct 2, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Allan Jones

I would look in, Sys/Lib/Extentions, and, relate, the, specific files, that, I deleted, but I have, deleted, them all, on, all, my up and running, eMacs. Like, I said, they all work, fine, without, the ones, I, have deleted, and I would go so far, as to say the system is more responsive, on booting, and, "snappier" in every app that I use. (Me, Naval, trained, electrian) (first, part oif training, how to design, electronic, and, electric, circuitry) (and you must do this in a short time period, each module is timed, so I became good at it, top three in my class) So, I, see, in my, head, that, poor, HD, read, arm, sweeping, over, the disk, and, having, to, avoid, the Intel, stuff, that it, will, never read, and, it, annoys, me. Classically, to make A perfect install DVD would be quite, A, daunting, task, and most software companys, would like to keep their good program, writers, without, making them rich. There, is, A Leopard, Security, PDF, that, notes, the, uselessness of unused, software, on, A harddrive. Are you familiar, with it? if not I'll post it, or google Leopard Security to find it. It's on Apple's data base. I, would just like to get rid of the rest of the files not used, by the Power PC platform, while not causing A crash! Please let me know if you, come up with anything, thanks.

Oct 2, 2012 11:35 AM in response to MKE123

OK, I see what you mean. I have a bunch of extensions on my G4 MDD that are for hardware like video cards and the like that aren't installed.That partition was installed form a retail Leopard disk. Something changed.

What had me confused was 'Intel" in your post. Unix files structures use a lot of similar naming conventions to those in the Win OS.

You probably did this already but one of the biggest spacesavers is to do the custom install and opt out of ALL printer drivers, all foreign language support, and all foreign fonts. That assumes you don't need foreign language support. Once I get the OS installed sans printer drivers, I go to the printers' websites and get just the ones needed to support our printers.

Oct 2, 2012 3:35 PM in response to Allan Jones

Yes, yes, and yes, (drivers, foreign language, and, fonts) all, are gone, from, my, HD. These, things, are for the user, to, pick, and choose, in, the, first place. So, If, I don't, use, them, I, feel, I'm better, off deleting them. Now, if I could only find out what files, are, exclusive, to, the, Intel Macs, that, would, be, another, chapter, in, this, journey.

Option-Command-P-R, produces, only, dark, screen, and, repeating, chime. Would, anyone, be, familiar, with, this, happening.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.