Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upload iMovie to Youtube

A “Communication error with server” message appears partway through an upload of a 3 minute iMovie to Youtube and it stops. I am using iMovie 11 with Mountain Lion. The iMovie was created as a trailer converted to a project then finalized as I usually do. It was sent to Youtube as HD 720p. It will upload to iTunes, but not to Youtube. I also tried uploading a test 5 second video from iMovie to Youtube and it worked, but for the 3 minute iMovie, the communication error with server message appears usually whenI go back to check on the upload process. It says to check your connection and try again, which I have done many times. This issue has started only since I upgraded to ML and iMovie11. What is the solution or alternative?

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:31 AM

A good alternative is to use the Upload feature of YouTube's website. You can upload multiple movies at once in this way.

11 replies

Oct 17, 2012 7:14 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hey, something weird happened yesterday. I uploaded two movies just fine with my google account, and then I uploaded a shorter movie from iMovie and all appeared to go well, with iMovie confirming the upload, but the upload never happened. I tried twice or three times with the same positive message, but the upload did not occur. I had to upload the last movie manually.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

May 1, 2013 9:28 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

Having the same issue - brand new Retina Macbook Pro and latest version of Imovie, and get the Failed (unable to convert video file) error after processing the uploading. Tried an upload at 1080 and 720 but failed on both. Source was gopro and ipad 4 in 1080, but still no joy (used 30fps)

Suggest maybe best option for now is to output as a standard movie then use the youtube uploader until apple update imovie to deal with youtube.

Found one good article that verfies the change that Youtube did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDce070-QpY but it seems like a lot of mucking around to get a video on youtube!

Oct 30, 2013 4:42 PM in response to brookpap

Yes! I can upload 5 second short videos and such but I cant seem to upload a video vlog! I can upload screen recordings, yet no IRL videos. I've even tried to export it back to quicktime and retry from there but the video still wont. I then tried with a different video from quicktime player X and it worked as well. Could something be wrong with the file?

Aug 2, 2015 11:46 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Thank you! As a novice YouTube user/"creator" and one who has traditionally used the iMovie: Share -> YouTube method of uploading iMovie videos/movies to YouTube but recently found this method of upload no longer working from my iMovie '09 this was a very helpful reply. I simply used iMovie: Share - Export to create a movie file locally (in this case the Documents folder) then opened YouTube, logged into my account, selected the Upload button in the upper right-hand corner, found the movie file, selected then uploaded it!

Can't upload iMovie to Youtube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.