Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For all those out there with Iphone5 WIFI issues,Please READ THIS

I pre-ordered my iphone 5 (Black) got that last week. Quickly backed up my Iphone 4 and Restored my iphone 5.The first thing i checked to see is connecting to my WIFI network at home. And i kept getting a message "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE NETWORK". I had the iphone 4 aside and i can see iphone 4 is connected just fine. So are my laptop, Ipad and other devices.

So what is different in Iphone5?

After couple of days of head banging, and phone calls with apple support. I finally gave up and went to a apple store , they said, They have not heard any WIFI issues and my case was the first 🙂, However to keep me happy they said they will replace my device, But if have the same issue ,they will NOT be able to replace it again. And they even showed me the new iphoen connects to their "Non-secured" apple WIFI network.

So i take the new phone home, and the first thing i try is connecting to WIFI.And i still get "Unable to connect to the wifi network ".And i still can see Iphone 4 working fine and connecting to the same network just fine. With the second iphone5 also not working, I realized it is not hardware, but something surely changed with WIFI in iphone 5. I have a NETGEAR router with its latest firmware installed(2.0.26). I then downgraded my firmware to 2.0.21, then gave a shot.

BINGO..Iphone 5 works fine connects to wifi.and so is my iphone4 too.

So for all those users out there, the fact is something changed in iphone 5 WIFI algorithm. And if anyone really disagrees with me on this, I am going to post a video to demonstrate on YOUTUBE. I believe it is completely UNFAIR for apple to now ask you Upgrade/change your router or its firmware. And it is not fair for router companies to Fix anything to make their firmware compatible with iphone5.

So iphone 5 Users, Please lets us all push for a fix on this issue. WE WANT FIX.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, WIFI Issues

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:19 AM

16 replies

Oct 1, 2012 9:10 AM in response to clickmeas

That is right. The fix that apple provided is for ONLY Verizon. I am on ATT and the WIFI issue "Unable to connect to a network" on some routers is still an existing issue.

However, I am yet to find out the working WIFI connections i had are still free, and not billed on my ATT cellular.

My ATT firmware is still 13.0, I hope the other issue is isolated to Verizon.

Oct 2, 2012 6:59 AM in response to clickmeas

disable WAP. Works like a charm... if you are willing to have an unprotected wireless network :-/

I am not changing my WHOLE network because of Apple.

Sorry, not feeding their already overinflated self-centered view of the world.

Not to mention the annoyance it has been to carry the ONE cable around all the time - not only it was changed but there are NONE available to BUY.

sigh

Oct 2, 2012 7:05 AM in response to mccosha

Unfortunately, my 2 new iphone 5 (even after a new replacement at apple store) Did NOT work on my UNSECURED netgear router. Yes, unsecured, iphone 4 just works fine.But iphone 5 wont work on firware 2.0.26 Netgear. I had to downgrade it to 2.0.21, then everything works fine.

I agree , it dont make sense to change our networks for the new iphone 5. Apple better fix this.

Dec 4, 2012 7:19 PM in response to clickmeas

I just replaced my iPhone3GS with iPhone5 and same exact problem. My iP3 worked fine and all of my family's iPhone3s and 4's. We reset all of them and they all reset and accepted to password.

This is bull....Ridiculous that other family members Galaxy's all work fine with network, too.

BTW...same problem connecting to WiFi at work...

Highly disappointed to pay this kind of money and have to go through this kind of trouble to connect...I'm sitll in my return window...may just go with the latest Galaxy like my son has...love all our Apple products but I'm not married to them...

Mar 7, 2013 8:32 PM in response to clickmeas

I can't tell you how frustrated/disappointed I was when this exact situation happened to me. I upgraded my wife's iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 just to find out that it wouldn't connect to my home wifi but would connect everywhere else. Guess what...

I found a fix!!

On you iPhone go to Settings, General, About, scroll to "WiFi Address". Now stay there.

Log-in to your modem thru your web browser via IP Address. (Keep in mind, I use a 2Wire modem, yours may be different) Clicked "Wireless" for wireless settings, scrolled down to "MAC Filtering" and clicked "Edit Allowed/Blocked Device List". At the bottom, there's a field to which you can manually enter a MAC address to you allow or block. If you're using a different modem with different menus/options, just browse around til you find a similar option of manually adding MAC addresses for access or blocking.

MAC Address = Wifi Address. See where i'm going with this?

Type the WiFi Address from you iPhone in the MAC address field, click "Add to List". If MAC filtering is enabled, it'll be added to the BLOCK list, simply click on the address, and click the double arrow pointing towards the ALLOW list so it'll transfer lists to where you want it, then click save.

Now go back to your iPhone and attempt to re-connect to your wifi network as you normally would & voila!

This worked for me, i hope it works for you as well.

For all those out there with Iphone5 WIFI issues,Please READ THIS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.