Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem in connect legacy afp in Mountain Lion - HT4700 doesn't work

For this problem, i have tried the suggested steps in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

Though it states it works for Lion and Mountain Lion but my 10.8.2 ML still does not work after all the steps are performed.

Evidence for the steps done:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams

(

"Cleartxt Passwrd",

"MS2.0",

"2-Way Randnum exchange"

)

Symptoms:

- If i use Guest account for afp://<ip-address>, it will connect without problem before and after applying HT4700.

- If i use registered account with username and password for afp://<ip-address>, it won't connect but always show:

There was a problem connecting to the server XXXXXX

- The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact ......

Questions:

1) Please advise the log path for the above error so that i can at least know the error code and more informaton to search.

2) If it relates to UAMS, why Guest account is allowed without problem? Guest account is more risky than all above 4 disabled authentication methods!

3) Will this problem occurs in 10.8.2 only as HT4700 KB was announced before 10.8.2?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and solutions.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 9:59 AM

4 replies

Jan 6, 2013 10:19 PM in response to 8leed

For other website forums, the main cause is that the required version of netatalk from OSX 10.8 requires higher version as 2.2+. If your old AFP machine can update the netatalk to higher version, you can backup data and try it.

For my case, i can't update the netatalk to later version and it seems the only way is to use Guest account to connect to that old AFP machine (i hence need to redesign the network diagram 😟) Anyway, i am still trying to find any better workaround for this problem.

Problem in connect legacy afp in Mountain Lion - HT4700 doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.