Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Diablo 3 - Performance Problem with MacBook Retina

After updating my MacBook to 10.8.2 I had performance problems with Diablo 3.

I updated via Appstore.

Before the update I played with the following specs:

• Fullscreen
  • Resolution1980x1200
  • Letterbox OFF
  • Vertical Sync ON
  • Max Foreground FPS 60
  • Max Background FPS 60
  • Texture Quality HIGH
  • Shadow Quality MEDIUM (SMOOTH)
  • Clutter Densitiy HIGH

I always had at least 30 fps.

After updating to 10.8.2 I only had 12-15 fps with these settings. Diablo 3 became unplayable (especially because the game looks like s*** on lower resolutions) because it halved the framerate.

I had no idea why, didn't had installed any updates, patches or whatever.

After looking for others with the same issue I have found out, that several others have had the same problem (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6606352204?page=1).

Always with MacBook Pro Retina - in most cases after updating to 10.8.2.

The only thing to fix the problem is (as far as I know) to reset the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964).

Because I also found out that this problem occurs in other games aswell I ask myself:

Will Apple fix the problem in upcoming updates?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:41 AM

14 replies

Dec 7, 2012 5:33 AM in response to miauwww

Hi, I just want to mention that I have the exact same problem, and it is very unconveniant. Basically every time I want to play a game, I need to reset the SMC. I have a 15" rMBP, the base model (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2.3 Ghz processor)

A few points to mention:

* This has started to happen only since OSX 10.8.2

* It approximately divides the performance of the GT650M (of rMBP) by 3 or 4

* It happens on every game, wether on OSX or Windows via Bootcamp

* Resetting the SMC fixes the problem until you either put you mac to sleep or reboot (I'm not sure if both or only one of the 2)

I hope the Apple teams are aware of this issue. Please fix it in the next update. The fact that the problem happens with every game assures that the issue doesn't come from Blizzard (as some users thought it was on some Diablo 3 forums).

Thanks

Dec 10, 2012 2:30 AM in response to RobertW8

Alright guys, today Apple has released an update. In the description it said something about fixing graphic issues. I have updated, and launched Diablo 3 without resetting SMC. I need to mention that I had not resetted SMC for a few days so it should have been laggy in Diablo as it always is.

Well, after the update, Diablo worked fine, at normal framerates !!! I think the update fixed our issue ! Can you guys confirm ? Thanks

Dec 10, 2012 6:15 AM in response to RobertW8

Not sure that it has been released "today", but as of yesterday there was nothing. I have updated and had to reboot my rMBP. It was a small update and did not change the Mountain Lion release number (I am still under 10.8.2). However I am sure it has changed something, since i put my Mac to sleep again at lunch break and I just started Diablo 3 now and it's working well. Actually maybe better than before because I get 28 to 29 FPS on 2880 x 1800 with everything on high except shadows on medium, and I usually got 22 FPS with these exact same settings before.

When I did'nt reset the SMC, I used to get 5 to 7 FPS with these settings...

Dec 27, 2012 7:34 PM in response to miauwww

I'm also having D3 problems with the rMBP where it goes down to 0 FPS, and takes about a minute to come back. I have the base model, 2.3GHz 8GB 256SSD. I was trying to find this update you are talking about, but as the other guy said it says "no updates available." I guess resetting the SMC is the only solution, other than reverting back to Lion...

Diablo 3 - Performance Problem with MacBook Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.