Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 7 Windows error 5

I have a hp laptop computer. When I tried updating Itunes, it said error 7 (windows error 5). I even uninstalled itunes, then tried installing again. Results are the same. I have used just about every suggestion that was thrown at me to no avail. I think this is everything.

Windows Vista, iTunes 7

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:05 AM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Seca

A complete uninstall/reinstall of iTunes and related software components is worth a try (7s can indicate trouble with other software components like Apple Application Support). See the following documents for instructions:

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7

... But if no joy there, let's check to see if there's a .NET issue underlying this:

iTunes for Windows: "Error 7" message when opening iTunes

Oct 2, 2012 12:50 PM in response to Seca

Update your .netframe work to version 4 (see other help posts by apple support)

Follow the instructions on this link, basically un-install everything, remove programs that says they are made by apple inc. (using add remove program)

http://www.reimageplus.com/fix-windows-127-error/ (Many thanks to reimageplus.com)

You will also need to check and verify that the following folders have been removed:

• C:\Program Files\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple
  • C:\Program Files\iTunes
  • C:\Program Files\iPod
  • C:\Program Files\QuickTime
  • C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime
  • C:\Windows\System32\QuickTimeVR

dont forget to remove icloud alsoyou dont need to delete your itune music library though

If any of these folders still exist, delete them along with their contents. (if you cant delete them, right click and go to properties and then security and change the control of the fold to you)do this for files under program files and program file (x86) on your computer once you have deleted everything, restart your computer. Then I repaired my registry using a registry repair program. Important:- instead of installing itunes I installed quick time, which installs apple application support (this is the corrupt file which is causing all the issues) i then installed itunes and it all worked fine, should take no longer than half hour to fix 🙂 hope this helps

Nov 4, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Flinneybee

Like many others I have been reading about online I am having the same error. I tried the fix listed above and simply wasted 30 minutes of my time. I scheduled a time for Apple to call and help me through this and their solution was for me to call Microsoft for some reason?!! iTunes made me upgrade then stopped working - I really don't see how this is a Microsoft problem??

Like Darren if a solution is not found quickly I will also have to sell my phone as the only way to get videos and music on my phone is through the software that you made me upgrade, broke and won't help me fix.

Error 7 Windows error 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.