Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 camera freezes, shutters won't open

It seems to be a software glitch. Anyone else having this problem or have any idea how to fix it?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:11 AM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2012 1:25 PM in response to CraigD93

A few hours after posting this my phone was fine. I just reset it a few times and its been fine since.

I also read on another site that by disabling the camera under 'restrictions' for a while fixes the problem. I also done this a few times so I recommend doing this if anyone else has this problem.

I'm not exactly sure what fixed it but I must of done something right 🙂

Feb 5, 2013 8:36 AM in response to CraigD93

My iPhone 5's camera failed out of the box. I did a hard boot of the phone and it seems to have solved my issue. To hard boot the phone, hold the "home" and "lock" buttons together for 5-10 seconds... until the phone restarts and you see the Apple logo on the screen. After you get back in, try the camera and see if it fixed the issue. Hope it works for you! 🙂

Jun 23, 2013 10:43 PM in response to CraigD93

Hi,

I have the same problem yesterday! My camera was freez after I open it - just can not take any phones on it!

I reboot and reboot the phone - nothing happen - then this morning I try one more time to reboot the phone!

And with no idea - it works again!

Well try to reboot it for a few times and wait for 6 / 7 hours - maybe it will help!

Good luck!

Jan 24, 2014 2:48 PM in response to CraigD93

same problem with 5s - camera frozen, even after multiple hard resets and restores. Apple techs say this is the first time they have heard of this, but I find that hard to believe after seeing all these people reporting the same problem in these forums. I'd think this is some production issue affecting the hardware. Considering the improved camera is a major selling point for the 5s, maybe this is being kept on the down-low? At this point, I'm tempted to contact some friends in tech publishing to see if they can report on this - maybe this will get Apple to look into what seems to be widespread hardware failures with the new camera.

My iPhone 5 camera freezes, shutters won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.