Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro 2012 12-core RAM questions

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for 48 or 64 gigs of ram for my mac pro. the cheapest solution that i have found is this: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333MHz-240-Pin-Single-CMX8GX3M1A1333C9/dp/B006XB5 6VI/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1349058965&sr=8-14&keywords=PC3-10600E%2C+1333+MHz%2 C+DDR3+desktop+memory (i will buy 8 of these sticks)

However my only concern with that ram is that its not registered ecc ram.. is that going to be an issue for me? Will i still be able to assign 3 gigs per CPU for adobe after effects?

What are the drawback of this ram? or will this work just fine?

Thank in advance!

Final Cut Pro 6

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:00 PM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2012 1:21 PM in response to SonyGuy11

Do not try to save a few bucks by installing other than ECC RAM. It is a false economy.

One of the best features of Macs based on the Xeon processor is their ability to do Error Correction. ECC memory stores an additional eight check bits, and a single-bit error on read is corrected on-the-fly. Uncorrectable errors cause a kernel panic and stops your Mac before the error can propagate into your data.

Oct 2, 2012 7:58 AM in response to SonyGuy11

SonyGuy11 wrote:

...What are the drawback of this ram? or will this work just fine?...

Wherever you end up buying the RAM, one of the considerations should be the willingness of the vendor to offer a lifetime warranty and to have a reputation for actually providing that support quickly, easily, and without a hassle. DIMM's aren't all perfect and some don't show problems immediately after installation. For example, if the DIMM's from Amazon are defective out of the box or six months from now, who do you call?

Mac pro 2012 12-core RAM questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.