Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I format text in Mountain Lion's Mail.app?

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, Mail.app stubbornly refuses to allow me to bold or italicize my fonts. I can underline, but I can't do any other text formatting options.

Very puzzling. Can anyone shed any light on this problem, or if they've had it too?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2.3 Ghz Core i5, 8GB RAM

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:54 AM

10 replies

Oct 1, 2012 12:36 PM in response to dustingm

You can only bold or italicize if you're using rich text. Make sure you're sending messages in rich (as opposed to plain) text.

Here's an appropriate section from Mail's Help addressing this:

Use plain or rich text in messages

You can use plain text or rich text (HTML) formatting when you write messages. If you receive a message that’s hard to read, you can read it as plain text.

HideIn messages you send

Plain text messages can be read by all recipients, regardless of the mail viewer used. Rich text messages may be unreadable for some recipients because of the formatting used.

Set the format for all messages: Choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, and then choose the format you want to use most often in your messages.

Change the format for your current message: Choose Format > Make Rich Text or Format > Make Plain Text before sending the message.

Set the format for replies: Select the “Use the same message format as the original message” checkbox in the Responding section.

Oct 6, 2012 11:29 AM in response to dustingm

Mail > Preferences > Composing

User uploaded file

Mail menu bar:

Message > Text Encoding > Automatic

Format > Make Rich Text

Do you have the format bar selector added to your compose (new message) panel?

User uploaded file

If not, right-button click below the New Message header and choose Customize Toolbar..., then drag that icon to the toolbar. Selecting the icon will allow the following to appear:

User uploaded file

And now, you should have Rich Text styling available to you in Mail 6.

Oct 8, 2012 8:08 AM in response to dustingm

I have the same exact problem and I have tried all the solutions here but nothing works. I cannot bold or italicize text using keyboard shortcuts (cmd+B and cmd+I) no matter how many times I press them (the same shortcuts work everywhere else across the system, i.e. in Pages, Word, TextEdit, etc.). The only way for me to add formating to my text is by using the "format bar" but even this does not work the way it should. If I select text and press on Bold or Italics, it doesn't do anything the first time, only when I press it again for a second time it works. It's the most weird and annoying thing. Please help!!

Why can't I format text in Mountain Lion's Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.