Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable To Log In Or Boot Up - Firewire File Transfer

I have a PowerBook G4 (Os X Tiger 10.4). Yes, it's old, but it was a gift, and has done very well for me for two years. After a reboot it wouldn't let me log in anymore - user name and icon cleared out - it was as if I were a guest on my own computer. There is an install or upgrade disk stuck in the drive - probably why it was given me - and since the drive wasn't reading it, booting up from it wasn't an option. After trying this and that and learning a few things, but mostly getting nowhere, I thought to contact the former owner and get his user name and password. But somehow in the meantime, something changed with the machine, so now when I power up it comes to the welcome screen. I try to register a new account, fill in all the info, but it doesn't seem to take it.

The G4 may be a goner, though I would be glad to get suggestions on how to restore it. I have learned how to access Terminal, though navigating within that is a bit clunky, if effective. But before I try anything else I want to transfer the files. I was going to use a 6-pin to 9-pin cable to go to my neighbor's laptop. but he is taking off for ten days. Then I saw there is a 6-pin firewire port on my PC. Should I get a 6-pin to 6-pin cable for this? And what steps do I have to take to make the two machines compatible? I was thinking I could get a 6-pin to USB cable and put the files on a flash drive, and transfer them that way, but since I can't boot up the G4 in user-friendly mode I can't see what I'm doing on it.

BTW, thanks to Terminal I have verified that my account still exsts - I just can't seem to access it. And since now I am not even getting the log-in screen anymore, I'm not sure how knowing this helps, other than seeing that my files are still there. I would welcome any and all advice regarding any and all of the issues I have described.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought it best to give as much info as possible.

PowerBook

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:24 PM

8 replies

Oct 1, 2012 3:15 PM in response to journeybear

I may have answered the part of my question concerning transferring the files to my PC. It IS possible, but first I have to configure my Mac, as follows.

Click "System Preferences" on the Mac, click "Network Settings" and then click "Built-in FireWire." Type the same IP address as the PC in the "I.P. Address" box under "Configure IPv4." Click the "Show All" button at the top of the dialog box, and then click "Sharing." Check the "Remote Login" box in the "Services Settings" box for the Windows PC to 'talk' to the Mac.

All good and well, if I were able to boot up. Of course, if I could, this whole discussion would be moot. But as it stands, I need to know if it is possible to follow that procedure in Terminal, and if so, how. I hope there is a real divvy out there who is still fluent in Terminal. I know this is old school, real old school, but I retain a bit of my old optimism. ;-)

Oct 3, 2012 4:44 AM in response to journeybear

Never tried this myself but should work. I mean using a Mac as an external disk. I regularly use this method with external disk formatted with Mac filesystem.

In your situation is the only way I see to get data out from the PowerBook.

First step download and install this great program, HFSExplorer onto your PC. You need Java to run HFSExplorer. So if it is not installed get Java.

Get a proper FireWire cable to connect your PC and your Mac.

Start the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode. If you don't know what Target Disk Mode is read the whole page I linked.

Start HFSExplorer on your Windows PC. Ignore the error if it shows up. Use the FireWire cable to connect both Mac and PC.

Wait until Windows recognize the new disk. It won't show up in My Computer because of the filesystem. Windows does not read HFS+ disks natively.

Go to File, Load Filesystem from device

User uploaded file

Next step click on Autodetect button and OK at the following panel

User uploaded file

There will be lots of system folder that are not important to you. Browse for the Users' folder where your data are stored.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2012 6:27 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

This looks really good! All the articles I've seen on the web about Mac--PC transfers said both computers had to be configured beforehand - difficult if not impossible given the Mac's condition. This method bypasses that. I don't have Java (don't know why; always assumed everyone had it) so I'll be starting there. I have already ordered a 6-pin to 9-pin cable, hoping to find someone with a recent vintage Mac to use for this. I would have to get a 6-pin to 6-pin cable to use my PC. Well, what's another few bucks if I can get it done? And also, perhaps I'll have time somewhere down the road to figure out how to fix the Mac.

Thanks for taking the time! Really nice job, complete with graphics. Even if this doesn't work, you're getting points for that! ;-)

Oct 3, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Yes. Also holding F12 down while booting. Also holding the clicker down while booting. And everything else. It makes all the whirring noises one would expect but doesn't eject. I even tried this crazy method someone mentioned, as seen in this youtube video http://youtu.be/NUqfS_ACuPI where a guy pushes a thin metal strip (actually a pair of tweezers pressed tightly together) inside and along the right of the slot till it makes a click and the disk pops out - nothing. I'm stumped. Weird.

Oct 3, 2012 10:32 AM in response to journeybear

There might be one more trick that you can try. I have read more than once about the following precedure but have not tried it myself.

1. Insert a piece of thin cardboard into the slot, maybe about 2 inches inside. (I used a cereal box).

2. Press eject.

3. The CD will try to eject.

4. The idea is that it can eject OVER the cardboard, and then you will tilt the cardboard up to prevent the mechanism from pulling it back in. Once you can see the disc, pull it and the cardboard out at the same time.

Sorry if this is hard to understand-- it was a little while ago, and a lot of trial and error...

Follow-Up: I tried and after sliding a thin piece of cardboard in and trying my best to push it on top of the CD so that it could slide out when ejected, I managed to hit what felt/sounded like a thin metal clasp. When I hit it the CD popped out.t, the CD jumped out of the drive.

Unable To Log In Or Boot Up - Firewire File Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.