Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alphabetizing notes

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion. Is there any way to alphabetize NOTES? It's automatically sorting by date created. Not what I had in mind. Doesn't seem to be a preferences for notes.

Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:39 PM

I believe there's no other option -- notes are sorted by date created.

By the way, your posting above says you're using OS X 10.4 which presumably is incorrect.

11 replies

Feb 1, 2013 10:25 AM in response to Happy Rider

Happy Rider wrote:

Looks like your solution made a lot of people happy, but unfortunately, I don't understand it. Could you please elaborate a little? I am a recently converted Blackberry user now on a 4S, gradually learning how Apple thinks. Thanks in advance!

This thread is discussing the OS X (Mac) version of the Notes app.

From your post, it appears you are referring to the iOS (iPhone, iPad) version of the Notes app which only sorts by date modified.

Matt

Feb 1, 2013 10:49 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

It's confusing: on the desktop you can change the way Notes are sorted. Go to View, then Sort By. On the iphone I don't think there's a way to sort it. It's alphabetical.

The bigger issue for me and many others on forums is my notes won't sync iPhone to desktop, either direction. So, I'm pulling back from using it as the mainstay it once was. Big drag.

It's further confusing because if you click on Accounts on iPhone main Notes screen, there are a number of choices: All, On My iPhone, email address, iCloud. I imagine those are all supposed to be the same if you've enabled them, as I have, but they're not.

Feb 1, 2013 11:05 AM in response to FFFF

FFFF wrote:

It's further confusing because if you click on Accounts on iPhone main Notes screen, there are a number of choices: All, On My iPhone, email address, iCloud. I imagine those are all supposed to be the same if you've enabled them, as I have, but they're not.

On an iOS device Notes can be stored in one of two places - either locally (On My iPhone) or on a server in the cloud (iCloud or IMAP email such as Yahoo, Google and others).

The only way to get your Notes to sync to other devices such as your computer is to use a cloud based account. Notes stored only on your iPhone aren't going to sync anywhere else.

More details here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4191

Matt

alphabetizing notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.