11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 1:52 AM by léonie
rshammaa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Guys,

In  aprevious post I mentioned that images in my Aperture trash had become invisible and that when I went to the store the Aperture trainer clicked on Repair when an alert message appeared that referred to the detection of "inconsistencies" in the Aperture Library; and all went back to normal.

Well, images in my Aperture trash are invisible again but there is no alert message this time - so no Repair button to click and solve my problem. Any ideas on how to repeat the fix without it?

I use Aperture's latest version.

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

iMac 21.5", Mac OS X (10.7.2), Pages for iPhone/iPad
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)
    Well, images in my Aperture trash are invisible again but there is no alert message this time -

Raphael,

When you select your Trash, and look at the search field in the Browser, does it say "Show all"? If not, clear the search field.

Regards

Léonie

• rshammaa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Leonie!

It worked! Thanks again. But...it's stuck in Browser View; no Split View or Browser. What do you think?

Raphael

But...it's stuck in Browser View; no Split View or Browser. What do you think?

Grrr -

Raphael, I am seeing the same, when I open the Trash in Aperture 3.4.1 - ever since the last update. Only Browser View is available; all other views are disabled, when browsing the trash. I cannot even flag an image before putting it back. I assume, this is a new feature and not a bug, but very inconvenient. It makes it very hard to check the trash, before finally emptying it.

Léonie

Thank you Leonie.

When my problem originally started I was trying to review my 1526 images in Trash before "trashing" them for good.

So I thought I'd rate them 9 and drag them into the Rejected folder to be able to view them in Viewer, but...they won't be dragged. If they were placed in Rejected they would all be grouped where I can find them and review them.

If I were to use "put back" I would have to hunt them down all over the place. So, at present, my only option is.....to increase the size of the thumbnails in Trash. Bummer!

Any ideas?

Thanks Raphael

You could create a new folder - MyTrash - and move the images temporarily there from the Trash. In this folder you can flag and reject the images, but from there will be no "Put Back" to original projects possible.

If I could drag the images out of Trash I would drag them to Rejected, because if I decide to keep some, all I have to do is change their rating to 4 or 5. I already rated them 9 while in Trash anticipating I could drag them. That was my plan. But....the Aperture gods decided otherwise.

Right?

"Rejected" is a smart album: it shows all images that are rated rejected and not in the Trash. You cannot drag to a smart album.  You add images to smart albums by changing their properties(tags etc.) to meet the rules of the smart album.

Try it: if you move one of your rejected images to another my-trash-album or simply put it back, it will automatically appear in "Rejected".

Aha!

You mean images won't go into Rejected because it's a smart album - even though they are marked 9 ( surprising ), but they'll let themselves be dragged into any other straightforward folder?

Or better yet, because they are rated 9, they can be "put back" and simulateously appear in Rejected?

I am dazzled by the refined - and seasoned, logic of these suggestions.

Do I have it right? And can they all be put back simultaneously via Control+A?

You mean images won't go into Rejected because it's a smart album - even though they are marked 9 ( surprising ),

Yes, all images marked "9" and not in the Trash- and only these images -appear in the "Rejected" album. You move them there by rating them "9", not by dragging them there.

but they'll let themselves be dragged into any other straightforward folder?

Yes, they'll let themselves be dragged into any other project, not folder.

Or better yet, because they are rated 9, they can be "put back" and simulateously appear in Rejected?

That how it shoud work.

Do I have it right? And can they all be put back simultaneously via Control+A?

Yes, you can select multiple images at once to put back,  but try first with one or two images, how it works for you.

Regards

Léonie

You're a genius; it worked!

I needed to think about the fact that Rejected is a smart album. Thankfully...you did!

What would I do without you Leonie.

BTW, that unexpected error message that pops up saying that one is not authorized to view whatever he/she is requesting (so many complaints about that in this forum), went away - for me, when I switched from Safari to Google Chrome.

Apple promised they'll look into it.

In any case, thank you so much. Now, I have to peruse all these files and then delete most of them!

You are welcome, Raphael! And thanks for the compliment

Good luck!

Léonie

and just in case - remember to make sure you have a back up before starting a massive delete