Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install iMovie 6 HD after iMovie 11 is in place

I hope someone can advise me. I am running OS 10.6.8 and have iMovie 11 (9.0.4) currently installed. I do not want to delete iMovie 11, but want to install and also use iMovie 6 HD, probably by purchasing an old iLife 06 version from Amazon or elsewhere.
I have read that installing iMovie 06 after iMovie 11 is already in place will overwrite and destroy iMovie 11. I don't want to completely lose "11" or the projects I have already done in "11." I read a forum post about temporarily moving "11" into another folder to prevent overwriting when installing "6."

But what about the QuickTime codecs, any other important related files for "11," and the iMovie 11 "iMovie Events" and "iMovie Projects" folders that are already inside User > Movies? Will those Events and Projects folders be harmed by installing iMovie 6 after iMovie 11? I don't want to cripple "11" by also installing "6."

Are there any step-by-step directions for accomplising this?
Many thanks for any assistance.

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:27 PM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2012 5:21 PM in response to paulfromhendricks

Happily this is easily achieved, but it has to be done backwards.

Delete iMovie 11 (just drag it to the trash). Now install iMovie 6 from the iLife 6 install disks.

Now re-install iMovie 11. This automatically moves iMovie 6 into a folder it creates in your Applications folder called iMovie Previous Version.

Then reinstall iMovie 11.

Now you have them both, and you can have both in the Dock as well.

Alternatively you could try this method, suggested by poster Uitech:

Open a terminal and type "touch /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iLife08.plist"

(No quotes)

Install iMovieHD6 from the iLife 6 install disk.

This works with both Leopard and Snow Leopard Macs.

Oct 2, 2012 5:25 AM in response to Klaus1

No, I do not have iLife 8. The terminal command you had referenced was "touch /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iLife08.plist" and I have no library file like that apparantly because I do not have "08." The "touch" reference was yours. I am using a MacBook Pro.
My big concern in wanting to also have iMovie 6 is that I do not cripple iMovie 11 or lose previous work done in "11" which is in the iMovie 11 "iMovie Events" and "iMovie Projects" folders.

Feb 19, 2013 10:47 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus. This is the only thread I could find that was the same as my question. I"m running Lion and I would love to have iMovie6 living harmoniously beside '11, but I don't want to lose my projects and events in '11 (they seem to be tied to the '11 interface, without separate project files in finder, much like new iPhoto). Will that touch permission work on LIon? I've heard some very stern warnings about doing that kinda stuff in the terminal....like I could really screw up my system. Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Install iMovie 6 HD after iMovie 11 is in place

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.