Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup disc is full and don't know what is taking up the space. Its listed as 300 gigabytes under other

can't make any more projects in iMovie 09 8.06 (821) no room on start up disk and can't determine where or what the files are that are so huge. '

Any help in reducing this greatfully appreciated. I would like to transfer any useful files and even move or export the projects to the MyBook external disk if possible, but it doesnt look like that will have a major impact other than making it easier to use iMovie and reducing the amount of projects I have in the field. Presently at 64.

Screen shot of my storage space file

User uploaded file

iMac 24" 2.13ghz, White Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iMac 24" alu 2.8GHz HD 500GB 2GB RAM

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:18 PM

Hi

A. Your Start-Up hard disk has 1.15Gb free space. This I never let go under 25Gb (when using SD-Video) and 4-5 times more if HD-mnaterial is used.

• Why - Because - Mac OS X - is in reallity UNIX and behaves likewise. Creating Lot's of temp files - and these needs to be stored on the boot (Start-Up) Hard Disk. CAN NOT be addressed elsewhere - the space must be here !

B. One easy thing to free up space is to move movie Event's to an external hard disk BUT HERE also are important bit's that MUST'S !

• ext. HD - MUST be - Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted (mine are journaled) -

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most other things - BUT NOT FOR VIDEO - whatever Video editing program used - iMovie or FinalCut (all the same)

• Should be a FireWire one - as USB/USB2 performs badly to me and especially when filling up and if HD-material is used

• MOVING - Event's and Project's - MUST NOT be moved on DeskTop/Finder - but in the iMovie program (iM'08 to 11)

as in this way

Moving Event's and Project's

Connection - Either connect one Mac in Target mode to the other via FireWire. Or use an external hard disk !

(Target-Mode - Start one Mac e.g. laptop - BUT keep T-key down during full up-start - Now a FW-symbol is jumping around the screen and it will work as an external hard disk when connected to the other Mac)

A. The External Hard Disk - MUST BE - Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted to work for Video. UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange works for most other things but not for Video whatever program is used (iMovie or FinalCut)

B. Should be a FireWire one as USB/USB2 performs badly to me and especially when filling up

C. Do never Move or Alter any folder named

• iMovie Event's - or -

• iMovie Project's

on DeskTop/Finder - as this will result in iMovie losing connections to them and repair can be anything from hard to impossibly

D. Moving and Copying must be done within iMovie application and Events to Events - and - Project's to Project's.

E. Moving Project's to Event's - Do not work for me - I have to export project as a QuickTime movie then Import this into Events.

Event's window can show two faces

Like this

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

or like this

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

from one hard disk Event - You can move it to the other hard disk

You can not (at least not me) move Event to Project or other way around only

Event to Event and Project to Project

Yours Bengt W

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2012 11:18 PM in response to Beatlejoose

Hi

A. Your Start-Up hard disk has 1.15Gb free space. This I never let go under 25Gb (when using SD-Video) and 4-5 times more if HD-mnaterial is used.

• Why - Because - Mac OS X - is in reallity UNIX and behaves likewise. Creating Lot's of temp files - and these needs to be stored on the boot (Start-Up) Hard Disk. CAN NOT be addressed elsewhere - the space must be here !

B. One easy thing to free up space is to move movie Event's to an external hard disk BUT HERE also are important bit's that MUST'S !

• ext. HD - MUST be - Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted (mine are journaled) -

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most other things - BUT NOT FOR VIDEO - whatever Video editing program used - iMovie or FinalCut (all the same)

• Should be a FireWire one - as USB/USB2 performs badly to me and especially when filling up and if HD-material is used

• MOVING - Event's and Project's - MUST NOT be moved on DeskTop/Finder - but in the iMovie program (iM'08 to 11)

as in this way

Moving Event's and Project's

Connection - Either connect one Mac in Target mode to the other via FireWire. Or use an external hard disk !

(Target-Mode - Start one Mac e.g. laptop - BUT keep T-key down during full up-start - Now a FW-symbol is jumping around the screen and it will work as an external hard disk when connected to the other Mac)

A. The External Hard Disk - MUST BE - Mac OS Extended (hfs) formatted to work for Video. UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange works for most other things but not for Video whatever program is used (iMovie or FinalCut)

B. Should be a FireWire one as USB/USB2 performs badly to me and especially when filling up

C. Do never Move or Alter any folder named

• iMovie Event's - or -

• iMovie Project's

on DeskTop/Finder - as this will result in iMovie losing connections to them and repair can be anything from hard to impossibly

D. Moving and Copying must be done within iMovie application and Events to Events - and - Project's to Project's.

E. Moving Project's to Event's - Do not work for me - I have to export project as a QuickTime movie then Import this into Events.

Event's window can show two faces

Like this

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

or like this

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

from one hard disk Event - You can move it to the other hard disk

You can not (at least not me) move Event to Project or other way around only

Event to Event and Project to Project

Yours Bengt W

Oct 2, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Tjänare Bengt,

Thanks for the reply, It helped me, I have now freed up some space and was able to do it through the application itself, thereby preserving the settings etc. so that the links keep tact in case I want to make future use of these projects. I wasn't paying attention to where I was saving the projects and iDVD projects as well. I did save events to other hard drives though.

I thought you might be a Swede, at first glance of your screen shots. I lived in Sweden five years and still speak and write in the language, but I lived there in the 80s. So my Swedish isn't quite as good as it was then. I sometimes change keyboard to Swedish when writing my friends in Sweden. I worked with Esselte Video back in the day in Gamla Stan in Stockholm. We distributed VHS throughout the scandinavian countries and benelux. You remember the moviebox?

You know even back then when Apple was really falling behind Microsoft, there were that die hard contingency of Swedes at my job who just wouldnt give in and just loved Apple Computers, and now it seems as if Sweden is overall, one of the most advent supporters of Apple and OSX etc.

Ha det så bra,

Beatlejoose

Oct 2, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Beatlejoose

Glad to been of help.

And Appleman1958 is also right on the spot - how many times I forgot the most obvious 😉

Yes the Movie-box and the Great time when one shared one and a really interesting VHS tape and some chips and "DIPP" (remember the sour cream with strange garlic powder and Dill and Gräslök - whatever they are in English)

Yes several Macs and Apples and even one Ohio Scientific Superboard II - true stonage.

I'm in Göteborg - Where in the world are You ?

Yours Bengt W

Oct 2, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Bengt,

I am in New Jersey, USA, I lived on a street in Upsala, called Gräslöksgatan. That would be equivalent to sour cream onion dip here which is very popular. I think, leeks is the name for Gräslök. That was great and also inlaged sil with surgradde. Skal, lite branvin.

Yes, by the way, I did empty trash in all trash applications including the trash on the dock. I always empty that.

Thanks again guys,

Beatlejoose

Oct 2, 2012 1:08 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

tak ska du ha Bengt,

Hoppas ni ha det fint i vintern.

I still have a problem, after moving my projects and events to new hard drive, I lost all photo links. Should I have consolidated first. I am not sure why I should have thought to do that since they were there before I moved the projects. I chose to move projects and events when moving files, not just the projects, but I think the events were already on this new drive, did I just move them twice? or break the links? What is my next move or do I even have one. I tried looking into consolidate media, but in the instructions, there is no mention of photos in the different scenarios, it only states, clips and video.

User uploaded file

I am stuck,

tack så myket

Oct 2, 2012 10:55 PM in response to Beatlejoose

Yes - this is the Real Problem as iMovie first tries to locate iPhoto library and GarageBand and iTunes etc.

And moving to an external drive only as far as I got it to work can be done with the Event's and Project's

So I never use photos or audios like that but I first collect copies of them into a folder - stored on DeskTop then use files from this in my movie projects.

I copy this over to root level on the external drive too.

And as far as I remember this use to work. I nearly 100% in FinalCut pro (6.0.6) and here one need to keep all material stored in a secure way e.g. a folder named as the Movie project + Date. In this way one keep 100% controll and all in one place.

Yours Bengt W

Oct 3, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Bengt,

Thanks for the tip, but just after I sent in this post, I turned off the iphoto application and also iMovie and then turned them on again and all the photos that were in the project, now came back. I read this on one the group discussions that this is what needs to be done, exit out of the app and then open it again and the source clips and photos should all be linked again. That is if you moved them correctly i guess. So I am out of the woods again.

Thanks for the help and fast response.

Tack och bästa hälsningar,

Beatlejoose

Oct 3, 2012 5:36 AM in response to AppleMan1958

thanks Appleman1958,

I have been emptying the trash religiously. I see that when I move the projects and events together to another Hard Drive, that temp files get dumped in there. Now I would imagine that I do not need them. I have been deleting the entire trash at once.

Why would the app dump them in there if they were needed I assume.

Thanks for the help,

Beatlejoose

startup disc is full and don't know what is taking up the space. Its listed as 300 gigabytes under other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.