Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 questions about OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)...

Ok, I have two questions in regards to OS X Mountain Lion.

The first deal with changing the display name in my user account. I was wondering if there was a way in which I could change my user account's display name from the First Middle Initial. Last Name format. to the First Name Last Name format without needing reinstalling OS X Mountain Lion?

The second question deals with an issue that I am having with OS X Mountain Lion at shutdown. Since installing OS X 10.8.2 (via Combo Update), my shutdown times have become sort of inconsistent. Before upgrading to OS X 10.8.2 my shutdown time would average in between 2-6 seconds now my shutdown time are mostly short within the range of 10.8 and 10.8.1's shutdown time but I have seen an increase in the occurences of shutdown times around the 15-20 second range since updating. These long shutdown times occur at random but mostly if I use the computer for a long time, however the issue has occured with short computing sessions as well.

So far, I tried the following:

1. Repairing Permissions
  2. Repairing "Macintosh HD" partition.

Do you have any other suggestions for this particular issue?

Thanks for your assistance and time!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 4GB; 500GB HDD; NVIDIA 330M GT 256

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:26 PM

The first, it is more trouble than it is worth. Some programs are sensitive to what username they are installed under, and you'll have to reinstall them. The second, the long shutdown times are controlled by how much data they have to save for the "resume" feature. When you go shutdown, there is a checkbox "reopen windows when you log back in." This will reopen all applications just as they stood when you shut down. Of course the more you have to save, the longer it will take.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2012 8:26 PM in response to vea1083

The first, it is more trouble than it is worth. Some programs are sensitive to what username they are installed under, and you'll have to reinstall them. The second, the long shutdown times are controlled by how much data they have to save for the "resume" feature. When you go shutdown, there is a checkbox "reopen windows when you log back in." This will reopen all applications just as they stood when you shut down. Of course the more you have to save, the longer it will take.

Oct 1, 2012 8:37 PM in response to vea1083

Changing your name:

1. Open SETTINGS > SYSTEM > Users and Groups

2. Open the padlock in the lower left corner of the window by entering your admin password

3. Change the name as you want it to appear

4. Close the padlock.

* You'll notice the change immediately if you click your Apple icon and see your "new name" as the last option under "LOG OUT DOE JON"

Shutdown speed issue:

I'm in the same boat you are. I remember a specific "bragging right" that Jobs had when he released Lion was in fact the smaller platform it used, which in turn increased everything else the user did, including start-up and shut down sequences. With time, and unfortunately, a change of management ML did not follow suit of Lion and keep their smaller footprint on the HD.

2 questions about OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.