Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i clear backup from my internal hdd?, how do i clear backup from my internal hdd?

im using 13" macbook pro running Mountain Lion

i found that backup is taking a lot of my internal hdd space

User uploaded file

as you can see in the picture...

i tried many different way and try to free up that space,

i tried going into terminal like some other tutorial say but still cant free up the space

but still no luck

does anyone what problem that cause this? and how do i solve this problem?

i would love to free up my 107GB of space on my hdd...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:55 PM

10 replies

Oct 1, 2012 9:20 PM in response to rrahimi

hi rrahimi thanks for your response

yes, i already have a time machine backup on my external drive

i checked the page, it seems like to be the problem,

but i still can't figure out how to free up those space on my internal hdd... :/

now i try using an app called "Omnidisksweeper" but i can't seems to be able to find the folder that store the backup files on my internal hdd

Oct 1, 2012 9:27 PM in response to GimGim

You can disable Time Machine's local snapshots.

Disable Time Machine Local Backup Storage

Here’s how to turn off local backups:

• Launch Terminal from /Applications/Utilities
  • Enter the following command:
  • sudo tmutil disablelocal
  • Enter the admin password when requested to disable local backups

Here's the full article:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-li on/

I also find Disk Inventory X (free app, Google it) to be extremely useful in figuring out what file types and what specific files are taking too much space on my system.

Oct 1, 2012 10:14 PM in response to Shootist007

Interestingly this just solved a mystery for me. I check the free space available in two ways: Get Info or Quick Look on the drive. From time to time these two showed vastly different numbers. I never figured out which is the correct one until now.

The Quick Look view shows what is available but the Get Info dialog shows what is available if Local Snapshots where cleared. That's why availability on Quick Look had sometimes a 20+ GB disparity.

It's not a bug though as Quick Look indicated "Free" space while Get Info indicated "Available" space.

how do i clear backup from my internal hdd?, how do i clear backup from my internal hdd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.