Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do keep my pictures on all All my devices.

I have IMac, Mac Pro, Ipad2, and Iphone. All devices are on the lastes software. How do I keep the same pictures on all them?, I'm having problems with keeping the same pictures in all devices this is very frustrating. I'm afraid that Im going to lose some pictures. Any advice out there?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:17 PM

3 replies

Oct 1, 2012 8:26 PM in response to Zinnia34

Hi Zinnia,

Your picture "library" probably resides in iPhoto, and I'm guessing that you sync your iPad and iPhone to one of the two Macs? If so, that would be your "master" library. You can sync all of your photos from that library onto your iPad and iPhone by simply selecting "Sync All Events" on your Photo tab for each device.

For Mac to Mac "syncing", however, you have to copy the files from your "master" library to your other Mac. You can do this by copying that library to a Flash Drive, Hard Drive, or by connecting the two Macs together using FireWire and then copying the one library to the other Mac.

Once you get the "master" library onto your other Mac, you can keep the photos updated on both of them by attaching the device that has the new photos you are uploading (whether that be your iPad, iPhone, or an actual camera) to each of them in turn, and uploading the photos to each Mac. Just be sure that you have all of the iTunes sync information turned off on the second Mac, so it doesn't try to open iTunes or sync your device to iTunes on that Mac when you are just trying to upload your new photos to your "backup" library.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

GB

Oct 1, 2012 11:13 PM in response to gail from maine

For Mac to Mac "syncing"...

What do you mean by "Sync".

The general term means when two Libraries (A and B) are compared and files in Library A are copied to Library B, while files in Library B are also copied to Library A so that both Libraries are identical.

This is bi-directional copying and you cannot do this automatically with iPhoto. No Syncing software is capable of parsing the iPhoto Library in this manner. One or both of your Libraries will be damaged if you try this.

You can have uni-directional copying - files in Library A are copied to Library B - this is essentially backing up. Obviously you can also copy from Library B to Library A.

The nearest you can get to syncing is to use iPhoto Library Manager to move files/Albums/Events plus associated metadata between Libraries. This process cannot be automated.

How do keep my pictures on all All my devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.