Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware added folder /Library/Preferneces NOT /Preferences

Hello,

I suspect that a bit torrent client (or some sort of malware) has been installed on my system, but none of the anti-virus software I've tried flags it. Here are some of the symptoms:

1. After a few hours of use, I run out of disk space. (I must admit though, that I have approximately 100 tabs open in Safari. I don't use Firefox as the same time, but I may have 150-200 tabs open in Firefox when it's open. Even so, there was a definite point in the Spring / early Summer of 2012 when this became a problem. The system had _no problem_ with all the tabs before that.)

2. Among other questionable files, there is a folder in HD/Library that is MISSPELLED "Preferneces." It only has one locked file in it "DirectoryService." I cannot determine the size. The date is March 13, 2007.

3. The regular folder /Library/Preferences, has the normal files as well as several files with nonsense names such as "cfx#nEAQsrx" or "cfx#00gSvuZ." These files have a size of 0 and appear to be empty text files. Their mod dates vary from 2009 dates to August 17, 2012.

4. I ran F-Secure's Flashback Removal tool, but it found nothing.

Is there a way to determine what this is, its true location, and how to remove it?

I've done backups using Time Machine, but I assume that I have also backed up the malware as well.

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook.

TIA.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:55 PM

cupen wrote:

Hello,

I suspect that a bit torrent client (or some sort of malware) has been installed on my system, but none of the anti-virus software I've tried flags it.

Bit Torrent Clients are installed by users, not malware. Did you install one?

1. After a few hours of use, I run out of disk space. (I must admit though, that I have approximately 100 tabs open in Safari. I don't use Firefox as the same time, but I may have 150-200 tabs open in Firefox when it's open. Even so, there was a definite point in the Spring / early Summer of 2012 when this became a problem. The system had _no problem_ with all the tabs before that.)

But I'm guessing you had lot more hard disk space before then. That's certainly an excessive amount of tabs, but I don't see how that would relate to hard drive space. Perhaps you just need to put a limit on the amount of cache you allow Firefox. In any case, you should either off-load some files you don't need all the time onto an external or replace the hard drive with a larger one.

cupen wrote:

2. Among other questionable files, there is a folder in HD/Library that is MISSPELLED "Preferneces." It only has one locked file in it "DirectoryService." I cannot determine the size. The date is March 13, 2007.

OK, well this doesn't look right. If it's really been there since 2007, I'd say it isn't a problem, but I don't recognize it as being associated with any known malware. The only DirectoryService file I have is a Unix executable in /usr/sbin/.

3. The regular folder /Library/Preferences, has the normal files as well as several files with nonsense names such as "cfx#nEAQsrx" or "cfx#00gSvuZ." These files have a size of 0 and appear to be empty text files. Their mod dates vary from 2009 dates to August 17, 2012.

Those are not unusual.

Not necessary if your ran all that Software Update had for you. There was an Apple removal tool that also disables Java in your browser which you should keep turned off.

Is there a way to determine what this is, its true location, and how to remove it?

I've done backups using Time Machine, but I assume that I have also backed up the malware as well.

What do you mean by true location? You should be able to drag the folder to the trash with admin authentication. Are you prevented from doing that. What are the permissions on the folder and file?

Which is quite vulnerable these days. If you can't upgrade your OS I predict you will continue to have issues.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2012 10:55 PM in response to cupen

cupen wrote:

Hello,

I suspect that a bit torrent client (or some sort of malware) has been installed on my system, but none of the anti-virus software I've tried flags it.

Bit Torrent Clients are installed by users, not malware. Did you install one?

But I'm guessing you had lot more hard disk space before then. That's certainly an excessive amount of tabs, but I don't see how that would relate to hard drive space. Perhaps you just need to put a limit on the amount of cache you allow Firefox. In any case, you should either off-load some files you don't need all the time onto an external or replace the hard drive with a larger one.

cupen wrote:

OK, well this doesn't look right. If it's really been there since 2007, I'd say it isn't a problem, but I don't recognize it as being associated with any known malware. The only DirectoryService file I have is a Unix executable in /usr/sbin/.

Those are not unusual.

Not necessary if your ran all that Software Update had for you. There was an Apple removal tool that also disables Java in your browser which you should keep turned off.

What do you mean by true location? You should be able to drag the folder to the trash with admin authentication. Are you prevented from doing that. What are the permissions on the folder and file?

Which is quite vulnerable these days. If you can't upgrade your OS I predict you will continue to have issues.

Oct 3, 2012 4:37 AM in response to cupen

Just to add to what MadMacs0 said, 100-150 tabs open at one time in a web browser is definitely excessive, and I would expect that to cause problems! Every site you have loaded (in a tab or window) consumes some memory, and the more memory you consume, the more your virtual memory swap files will grow. So this should not only cause you some serious performance problems, unless you've got a huge amount of RAM that you're not using for anything else, but it should be expected to eat up some disk space.

If you restart your computer and look at the hard drive before launching a browser, how much free space is there, and how large is the drive? You should have around 10% of the total capacity free on your boot drive, as a general rule of thumb... so, on a 500 GB drive, 50 GB should be free.

Oct 9, 2012 2:14 PM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks to both of you.

To respond to your comments/questions, MadMacs0:

> Bit Torrent Clients are installed by users, not malware. Did you install one?

The only reason I suspected a bit torrent client is because my office firewall flagged it as such. I never intentionally installed such a client, but I figured, that, given the firewall warning and the number of tabs I have open at any given time, perhaps I opened myself up to something without knowing.

>That's certainly an excessive amount of tabs, but I don't see how that would relate to hard drive

>space. Perhaps you just need to put a limit on the amount of cache you allow Firefox.

Yes, the number of tabs is huge and I know that a huge amount of virtual memory is being taken up. I've tried to limit the cache size in Firefox, but that didn't resolve the problem.

>But I'm guessing you had lot more hard disk space before then.

Not so much more. I found that deleting 5GB of data stil did not resolve the problem. After a few hours, I ran out of disk space... which made me wonder again, is someone using my hd for temp storage?

>What do you mean by true location? You should be able to drag the folder to the trash with >admin authentication. Are you prevented from doing that. What are the permissions on the >folder and file?

By true location, I meant that apart from all the weirdly named files which you said were normal, I couldn't find one location to simply delete said bittorrent client app from. As for the permissions, oddly, today I could delete the Preferneces folder, but on the day before I wrote, I could not.

>OK, well this doesn't look right. If it's really been there since 2007, I'd say it isn't a problem...

I'm pretty sure that it HASN'T always been there. That's what's so weird. Question, what's the purpose and source of the nonsensically named files?

Thanks again.

Oct 9, 2012 2:27 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks, Thomas.

Yes, I assumed virtual memory was eating up a lot of disk space, but, when I did free up a lot of space, the problem didn't necessarily go away. It took longer to run out of space, but I still ran out.

Still, I'm far below that 10% now, so I'll do some house-cleaning. I'm sure the only way to really test the source of the problem is to pare it down to 1-5 tabs and free up the 10+ percent space.

Question: Could either of you recommend software for Mac backup? I want to be able to archive some backups, not merely update changes as Time Machine seems to do.

Thanks for your input.

Oct 9, 2012 7:15 PM in response to cupen

cupen wrote:

Question, what's the purpose and source of the nonsensically named files?

I have twelve cfx# files and one cf# except that all are at least 4 KB (minimum size for my hard drive). All but one of those contain a valid XML preference information (.plist without the extension). The one that isn't contains a mix of text and binary data. Only one of them is from January of this year, the rest are older. They don't appear to duplicate the information in the regular .plist for the few that I was able to tie to a specific app. I don't know whether these are temp files that weren't deleted or supplementary information files. It'spossible that the empty files you saw were simply placed there to mark the date a demo or shareware app was first installed so the app will know when your trial time was up. Just a guess.

Oct 9, 2012 7:46 PM in response to cupen

cupen wrote:

Could either of you recommend software for Mac backup? I want to be able to archive some backups, not merely update changes as Time Machine seems to do.

Looks like Thomas is off-the-clock at the moment, so I'll jump in and point you to what I feel certain he would have suggested, his Macintosh Backups Guide.

And here's one he most likely won't mention ;-) Most commonly used backup methods.

As for myself I use SuperDuper!, only because Carbon Copy Cloner was not available for my OS at the time I needed it. Both are recommended universally for bootable clone backup.

I also subscribe to the free CrashPlan service, backing up critical files to my out-of-town daughter's computer and she does the same back to me. This fulfills the off-site backup requirement you should adhere to. You can do the same by rotating clones to your work, family or other locations outside of your home in case of fire, flood, burglary, etc.

Malware added folder /Library/Preferneces NOT /Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.