Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating IMAP from 10.4 server to Linux

I have an Xserve running OSX 10.4 and since Apple has left the server business, I need to move this to a Linux server.

How do I move all emails and users to. Linux installation? What IMAP server for Linux is best suited for this? What tools do I need?

I have about 50 email users on the Mac, and I don't have access to their passwords, so any tools that act as an email client and move emails between servers may be hard to use, I suppose? I suppose I could reset their passwords, and then have them pick new ones on the new server. But the best thing would be to just do the migration and move the IP over to the new machine and then it would just work for them as it always has.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:08 PM

1 reply

Oct 2, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Jonas Eklundh

Hi Jonas, not sure where all these things are on Server, but on Client...

First Quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

For Address Book, quit AB...

Files...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist

Folders...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/

Trouble with Passwords is that they're likely encrypted in some Keychain.

Migrating IMAP from 10.4 server to Linux

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.