Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MACBOOK PRO / MINIDISPLAY PORT TO HDMI / 1080P / BLACK LINES

I am using Macbook Pro Mid 2010 with OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

It is connected with Full HD TV+Monitor LG M2352D

Using Cable : MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Port

On LG TV it only has 2 options for Aspect Ratio - 16:9 & 4:3 [Current Option - 16:9]

Macbook Pro > [Current] Display Settings > Mirroring > 1080P & 60 Hertz (NTSC)

There are 2 black lines on both sides (Left & Right) on LG TV screen when connected to Macbook Pro with above available settings.

I would really appreciate if you could help me out to have 1080P HDMI output on Full Screen on external display (LG TV).

Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:24 AM

40 replies

Oct 30, 2012 8:09 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently using 720p setting because this is maximum quality setting that allows full screen.

Macbook Pro claims to support output of 1080p, and my monitor is Full HD [1080p], but I am unable to use 1080p setting as it crops the screen size from both sides.

I tried your method of not mirroring display, but I do not want to extend my desktop.

Is it possible to have my desktop displayed on full screen using 1080p setting on 1080p monitor? Please help.

Thank you very much.

Oct 30, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Donkas

I actually bought another one today for my other laptop.

I have done extensive research on TV+Monitor offerings in market. And, I can safely assume that as of now, LG M2352 is the best match of money and quality. [I am currently residing in Seoul so can not be sure about other markets.]

The only issue that I have now is in regards to 1080p setting on Macbook. If you know the solution then please help. I have tried windows on it today, and it works perfect on 1920*1024 setting as it allows you to have full screen desktop on your LG M2352; sadly my issue still remains unresolved.

Hope it helps.

Oct 30, 2012 8:20 AM in response to 4044

The Macbook screen is 16:10 ratio (1280*800) and the LG Monitor screen is 16:9 ratio (1920*1080). It is not possible to mirror your desktop exactly between the two screens because of the difference in ratio. If you only want to view your desktop on the Monitor at it's native resolution then you would need to turn off your Macbook display I'm guessing - I don't have it in front of me to confirm. The alternative is to use an extended desktop in the preferences and set the LG to your main screen - this will run at full native resolution and your Macbook screen will then become the extemded screen and you can just ignore this screen if you want to stick with the main LG display.

Oct 30, 2012 8:26 AM in response to 4044

Thanks for the info.

With regards to:

The only issue that I have now is in regards to 1080p setting on Macbook. If you know the solution then please help. I have tried windows on it today, and it works perfect on 1920*1024 setting as it allows you to have full screen desktop on your LG M2352; sadly my issue still remains unresolved.

The maximum size you can set on the Macbook is 1280x800 if you are using the mirror feature. Turning off the mirror feature will allow you to run at 1920x1080 on the LG with the Macbook. I'm assuming the Windows machine let you set the desktop resolution to 1920x1024 and this is what is mirrored on the LG monitor? This is still not full native resolution of the LG monitor. What kind of Widnows PC was it? Desktop or Laptop and which brand/model?

Oct 30, 2012 8:53 AM in response to Donkas

My apologies, it was a typo error. I double checked, and windows 7 allows you 1920*1024. I am currently using Windows 7 Ultimate on Asus 1225B, and have connected with LG M2352.

So if I understand correctly, the only way I can have 1080p full screen display on LG from Macbook is if I use extended desktop, else either I have to learn to tolerate those black lines (I don't think I can) or satisfy myself with 720p. Is it correct? If yes, then it is too sad for me. If no, then please guide me further.

Oct 30, 2012 9:21 AM in response to 4044

Okay, now I know. As far as I am aware, there is no way of doing this by default on the Macbook because it's highest resolution is 1280x800. You could mirror this to the LG but of course it won't fill the screen unless it scales the image but again there will be black bars because the two screen ratios are different. if this did manage to scale up and also stretch to fill the entire LG screen, it still woudn't be 1080p resolution, it would be 1280x800 but stretched to fill the screen and it would look a little blurry and distorted on the LG. If the LG has this scale/stretch ability, it will be under the menu system for something like Picture mode or it may be a dedicated button on the remote - the ratio button perhaps?

There may be an app out there that forces the Macbook pro acreen to run at a higher resolution e.g. 1920x1080 and if you mirrored this then it would look fine on the LG as it would be a full 1080p image. Of course, if such a tool does exist, the Macbook Pro screen content (icons, text etc.) will appear tiny and hard to read and it won't actually be running at 1080p on the Macbook screem, it would just appear that way. Maybe others can advise if such a tool exists?

MACBOOK PRO / MINIDISPLAY PORT TO HDMI / 1080P / BLACK LINES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.