6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2013 11:53 AM by Savedbygrace186
rstmyers Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

my computer will not update itunes

• b noir Level 9 Level 9 (72,020 points)

Do you get an error message when you try to install the update? If so, what does it say? (Precise text, please.)

• hkjeffbman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

for me, there is no error message.  I click the "download now" button and then nothing downloads.

no message after that, but no update either

Try updating your iTunes using an iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe) installer file downloaded from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

• JuliaaCarolinee Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I get a message "Error writing file: C:\Config.Msi\1a01bd63.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory."
    Any idea what this means or how I can get iTunes onto my laptop. I was just trying to update..

I get a message "Error writing file: C:\Config.Msi\1a01bd63.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory."

Are you running Kaspersky security software on that PC? (There's been a few reports in recent times of Kaspersky interfering with iTunes installs, with that message being produced.)

If there is Kaspersky on board, we should try some general-principles getting-past-security-software-interference troubleshooting.

Download and save a fresh copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (32-bit installer file) or iTunes64Setup.exe to your Hard drive. (Don't run the install on line, and don't start the install just yet.)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Restart the PC. After the PC restarts do not open any applications. Disconnect from your network and/or the internet. Now switch off all your security software (firewall, antivirus, antispyware).

Now start the install by doubleclicking the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe) file you downloaded earlier.

Reenable all security software prior to reconnecting to your network and/or the internet.

Any better luck with the security software shut down?

• Savedbygrace186 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

have it installed as the administrator.  Windows 7 has security features that prevent you from just installing software unless you give it permission to.. soo you must run as administrator and it bypasses that little annoyance.