Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage stopped on my mac

I dont have a AOL account, nor a jabbar account or google talk. i upgraded to Montain lion and signed in and everything was fine i could send messages to everyone, now it says that someone@hotmail.com is not registered to messages, and the samething happens to them when they send to me. It is going great on my iphone, what happened to my mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 2:31 PM

Hi,

iMessages which is the new part that was added to iChat to make the Messages app can Text to Apple IDs and to iPhone Numbers (and those iPads with SIM Cards).

Basically it uses your Contacts (formerly the Address Book) list and your contacts email and iPhone Numbers.

If you are trying to contact a person by their Apple ID on their iPhone but their iPhone is not on WiFi or in contact with the cell/Mobile Service provider (Or Off) then Messages will turn the Name red.

It tends to be a standard message about the Name not being registered rather than quantifying it as Out of Contact (it could be it has been deleted from the iPhone).

To be clear.

The message is generic.

They may just be out of contact.

They may well have deleted the Apple ID from their iPhone.

User uploaded file
10:31 PM Wednesday; October 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2012 2:31 PM in response to ReyamEN

Hi,

iMessages which is the new part that was added to iChat to make the Messages app can Text to Apple IDs and to iPhone Numbers (and those iPads with SIM Cards).

Basically it uses your Contacts (formerly the Address Book) list and your contacts email and iPhone Numbers.

If you are trying to contact a person by their Apple ID on their iPhone but their iPhone is not on WiFi or in contact with the cell/Mobile Service provider (Or Off) then Messages will turn the Name red.

It tends to be a standard message about the Name not being registered rather than quantifying it as Out of Contact (it could be it has been deleted from the iPhone).

To be clear.

The message is generic.

They may just be out of contact.

They may well have deleted the Apple ID from their iPhone.

User uploaded file
10:31 PM Wednesday; October 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 4, 2012 12:35 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

I too have having a similar issue. In the last day every device I own asked for my icloud password, most have been fine except my mac, where iMessage now does not work.

All messages I had sent have dissapeared, when I try to send a new one it suggest that that person is not registered for iMessage, which is not true.

Something has happened to iMessage on the mac to cause this. Any ideas?

Oct 4, 2012 12:42 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you! But now it's suggesting that my apple ID is "new" and that I should contact apple care, so i did but my phone kept on giving me "call failed". They also gave me some number to say.

My apple ID is more than 3 yrs old! My sister's ID is less than a month old and when I signed in with it, it worked beautifully!

What should I do?

Oct 4, 2012 12:55 PM in response to wedge25

Hi,

Your Apple ID may well also be your iCloud ID.

If for some reason you cannot sign in with that yuo may find it will not work in other places. (you posted here is that the Same ID ?)

Essentially iCloud as a Service and iMessages are different.

You have a list an Apple ID for either.

It does not have to be the same one.

However, if the iCloud one is the same ID and you cannot sign in to iTunes or App Store or here to post (you will have already registered a Posting Alias) then it is the name and/or password that is at issue.

User uploaded file
8:55 PM Thursday; October 4, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 4, 2012 1:05 PM in response to ReyamEN

Hi,

But now it's suggesting that my apple ID is "new" and that I should contact apple care,

Where and what is suggesting the name is new ?

Was that Apple Care by phone ?

And this got "Call Failed" ?

They also gave me some number to say.

They who ?

If you could not get through to AppleCare who are the "they" that gave you "some number" to say ?

I find saying the number 99 in an almost subvocal chant over and over until it almost becomes nonsensical can be a useful mantra like sound. 😝

User uploaded file
9:05 PM Thursday; October 4, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 4, 2012 2:28 PM in response to ReyamEN

Hi,

Thanks,

The only way I know to "Fix" that is to contact Apple Support.

They need to make some changes to your Account that you cannot do via the regular portals.

User uploaded file
10:28 PM Thursday; October 4, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 5, 2012 1:02 PM in response to ReyamEN

Hi,

I would create New User on your Mac (System Preferences > Users and Groups)

Then set up Messages here.

If it works there it is not Messages but something about the .plists Messages uses fro your account (Mac User Account)

Previous with iChat you could "reinstall" the app separately from the Install Disk.

With Lion and Mountain Lion the "Recovery" installs the whole OS and those apps that are included over what you have.

User uploaded file
9:01 PM Friday; October 5, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage stopped on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.