Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SH-222BB DVD burner to works with OS 10.4.11 ???

I have this internal SH-222BB DVD Burner connected to G4 Power PC Mac thru SATA to IDE adapter rear mounted. It came with original PC firmware SB00, it will plays movies disk fine, but will NOT burn anything, no CD, DVD, iTune crash if try to burn, etc. Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to install a firmware that will burn disk using a Mac? I try most current PatchBurn, still not working either. Here the profile on this burner:

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB:

Firmware Revision: SB00

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)

Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-tsstcorpcddvdwsh222bb.drpr ofile

Cache: 1536 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

My G4 desktop info:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)

Machine Model: PowerMac3,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB

Memory: 1.38 GB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

Serial Number: XB9460KXHNZ

Sales Order Number: M7824LL/B

Thank you in advance for your time helping me.

Power Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:41 AM

Might try Burn...

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

13 replies

Oct 2, 2012 1:24 PM in response to BDAqua

Burns v1.72u failed too. Just got as far as writing track 1, then die saying "the device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry". I think its a kind of communication speed between the CPU and the burner. I don't know enough. Hope someone out there can help. Thank you for suggestion, to try Burns.

Oct 2, 2012 3:07 PM in response to BDAqua

I checked the adapter in the back of the burner (Sata to IDE) then tried burning, but same failed result. Tried with Toast also failed. Do you know any software issue, since is unit was issue for PC. I am told it could works with Mac, perhaps with PatchBurn install, which I did, but no go. I went and download from Samsung a couple firmwares that they use with other units that Samsung says working with Mac and tried to install using TSDNMAC (found online), however, those BIN Files wouldn't work on this unit. So, any ideas out there, please let me know???

Oct 3, 2012 9:17 AM in response to BDAqua

I tried test burn using Maxell DVD+RW and yes with Toast at low speed. . . this failed too. Anyway, thank you so much for your inputs with many replies plus your time. It is good to know there are someone like you out there that care about a stranger with tech problems. It would be nice if some tech persons could spell out the whole comparable issue Mac & PC on accessories like DVD burners. I am not the only one that have this problems. Thanks you so much.

Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM in response to BDAqua

"Have you able to make PC Burner works on a Mac?"

As BDAqua pointed out, many users have successfully replaced the original DVD drives with a third-party brand (Pioneer being the most-favored for a long time). Most (if not all) of the optical drives discussed for use in the older Macs have an ATAPI interface. I really think that your SATA burner connected with a SATA-to-IDE adapter is causing your problems. If possible, I'd recommend removing the TSST burner and installing a different brand (Pioneer, LG, LiteOn, etc.) ATAPI DVD±RW drive in your G4. Hopefully, this will eliminate the compatibility issues that you're experiencing.

Oct 5, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Jeff

Hi Jeff and BDAqua,

I can't return this SATA burner and wanted to make it works, do my part to keep it green. I will have to donate it and get one that is good for the long run. In that case I will likely get an external USB 2.0 burner that works with the current and my newer Mac (don't when) . Too bad because this Samsung DVD will play without any problem, its just the burning part that a problem. I will try your suggestion on other media next time I at a store, I get Verbatim. Thank you again for keep up the post with your good suggestions.

Samsung SH-222BB DVD burner to works with OS 10.4.11 ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.