Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Howto install WindowsXP on MacMini-mc815 (with HDMI-TV)

I need to install Windows on my Mac (for software developing in Visual Basic Express 2010 etc).

I tried to install some emulator and it downloaded some free preview version of Windows (I think it was Windows 8 or maybe 7),

but it was too slow. So then I tried to install in through bootcamp using "flash-disk method"... well, somehow I installed it, but the screen flickers.

When I choose to run Windows - after pressing ALT during boot-time, and choosing Windows there -

immediately Widnows goes into some video mode which makes my screen flicker.

I have some Toshiba TV. And I connect it with MacMini through HDMI.

(By the way, I also try to connect it through some DVI cable - and it shows better picture than when conncected by HDMI - I mean HDMI makes screen also a bit flickering, but it is ok when I zoom picture in).

Well, so I removed that Windows partition - I tried to start using (Shift) F8 or F5 during boottime of Windows, but it still all was flickering.

So still I want to install windows on my Mac. Windows PC is too noisy, but this MacMini is rather noiseless,

so I want to use it also for Windows, not only for MacOS. I've got license for Windows XP - a cd (plus key of course),

but I think I'ld need to use some tool to copy cd to flash-disk and install it in this way?

And I also read that this new bootcamp4 - it can install only windows7 - is that really so?

I mean I would have to down-date or down-grade software BootCamp to some previous version?

But I don't know which version is just for my WindowsXP?

So what should I do? To install WinXP properly?

Would I need special drivers to avoid flickering when I use hdmi tv?

I hope MacMini hardware should be quite advanced to support hdmi TV also in windows not only in MacOS?

Or this is also a problem of Windows?

So, anyway, what is the process?

1) Should I make a copy of cd? do I need some special ISO image? as I see Bootcamp asks -

"provide iso of win7"... (Well, I have some tools on Windows to make a copy of Windows-cd - into iso, if that is required for installation of windows on mac)

2) Should I install another, previous version of Bootcamp? Which version? where to download it from?

What would happen to current version of bootcamp? will it be overwritten, or it will be installed simultaneously?

I ask this because I may need to run newer Windows later - say in few years - some Windows7 or 8 - and will move to it completely, so then I'ld need to reinstall bootcamp again?

3) Special drivers are necessary for WinXP on MacMini? Bootcamp can download it automatically like in this version, or I should do it manually (then how?)?

P.S. One small question. On this MacMini, I use PS/2 keyboard, and it is connected through ps2-usb connector. I connect keyboard to hdmi-TV with enlarger of usb cable, but it doesn't work at boot time - I mean when I connect keyboard with "enlarger"-usb-cable - it doesn't recognize keyboard, so when I press/hold ALT button(s) - I don't see boot menu. Why? Should I also change keyboard or find another enlarger for usb? or they are not supported during boottime?

Yes, and is it possible just to do simply - that MacOS during boottime just asks which OS to run - and waits for some 5-10 seconds - so I can choose? Or there is no such option similar to autorun.bat which has ability to show menu first, and only then run say DOS or Win etc. I know it is a different system - but is there any special tool like this? I think I may need something like that.

Yes, and maybe there is someother tool, not just boot camp? I mean I hope it is free, bootcamp which supports/can install/run WinXP?

I mean as far as I understand, new versions should support previous features, so that bootcamp4 might support features of bootcamp3 etc or some other older versions to run winxp, can it? why? it is not very good then...

P.S.S. I still hope that my screen (hdmi-tv) will not flicker when I will install WinXP on MacMini. Or I should use normal small monitor instead of hdmi-TV for Windows-on-MacMini??

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:49 AM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2012 1:43 PM in response to HareKrsna

You can run XP in a Boot Camp partition with OS X 10.5 or OS X 10.6. You can update the Boot Camp software to version 3.3 sequentially after the initial installation from the Mac OS X dvd.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Howto install WindowsXP on MacMini-mc815 (with HDMI-TV)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.