Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi "Login Screen" never allows connection to browser based Login

Im an Arizona State University student, and their WiFi access is based on a browser-screen Login. IE, to sign into the wifi I have to open a webpage, request a page, and it will redirect me to the ASU login where I have to enter my student information to gain access. This was no problem on the old ios, however ever since updating my iphone 4 to ios 6, the login pop-up from the WiFi menu just returns an "Error opening page". It isnt just my school web page that does this, other browser-based logins do this as well. How can I get my phone to open the browser login page in my browser, like I used to, instead of through the WiFi login page that cant ever load it?

Iphone 4 with ios 6, not the 4s or 5. I've checked for further updates. but it says "up to date." I have no issues connecting with my laptop, it's just the new login method in ios 6.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:38 AM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2012 12:04 PM in response to BigUff

The community college where I work has a non-persistent wifi as well. When first connecting to the wifi network, you have to log in through a browser window, however for me, as soon as I am in settings and select the network, a few seconds later the browser opens on its own for me to log in. I have not encountered a network where I had to open the browser separately, so I cannot test anything else for you.

Oct 4, 2012 9:10 AM in response to BigUff

I had the same issues. I could connect to some WiFi networks but not others. Specifically, I could not conenct to my Apple AirPort Extreme at work. I reset the phone. Nothing. I reset the Airport. Nothing.

I finally got my iPhone5 (iOS6) to connect to the Airport by doing the following:

(1) I cleared the history and cookies in Safari (in Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data);

(2) I cleared the DNS servers appearing in the WiFi settings and set it to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) (in Settings > WiFi > "network name" > "blue arrow" > DNS - clear the DNS settings and type in 8.8.8.8)

Oct 4, 2012 11:08 AM in response to BigUff

Issue solved through trial and error, first began by resetting my network settings. Next, performed a hard restart.

Those two items did not resolve the issue. Finally, load network and click the blue arrow next to the wifi you want to connect to, if it is a browser login it will (should) list a domain under the "Search domains" setction. Set your HTTP Proxy to auto and change the URL to whatever your domain said. Your iphone should show connection to the wifi network WITHOUT trying to connect through apple first.

Lessons learned, apple shouldnt try to control everything.

Oct 4, 2012 1:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris - the WiFi issue that many people are experiencing with iOS6 manifests itself when we atttempt to connect to any wireless network. Within a few seconds after selecting a network to join, we are re-directed to an Apple login screen. The Apple login screen is blank and we can never get a WiFi internet connection.

That is the issue I experienced.

For whatever quircky reason, for those of us with the issue, some of these workarounds allow us to connect to the internet.

I have never set a proxy to connect to the internet - but after setting the proxy to auto and after setting the DNS to Google, I was able to conenct without getting the Apple login screen.

Oct 4, 2012 2:33 PM in response to JerseyMikes

Okay, I had not seen that behavior. Even after updating to iOS 6, the wifi that I use at the college where I work continued to work as it always had. Selecting it in settings would begin the connection and then the log in would start Safari for the log in credentials. Thank you for the information. Makes it easier to understand what others are experiencing.

One thought I have do you believe this Apple log in has to do with the possibility the security certificate is not recognized. We had that problem at the college once, since the security certificate was a self-certificate and it was not recognized in iOS.

Nov 10, 2016 3:37 AM in response to JerseyMikes

Hello! I've been having problems joining previously used

Wi-Fi networks that require a login page to access. It's a Fon hotspot network and as I connect the captive portal page pops up with the link: captive.apple.com but it doesn't redirect me to the login page. I've tried switching off Auto-login and opening Safari that says no connection.

The network provider had no useful comments nor advices.

What should I do? Is there some settings I need to check?

I've been struggling with this issue for days.. bare in mind it all worked fine a few days ago.

Any kind of advice or help is welcome.

WiFi "Login Screen" never allows connection to browser based Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.