Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with Places

Is anyone else having problems with Places in Aperture

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:36 PM

12 replies

Oct 2, 2012 1:01 PM in response to léonie

It does lots of strange thigs, it shows a map of Key West FL and calls it Death Valley National Park, when I drag an image to Disney's Animal Kingdom it shows the map correctly but calls it Essex (where I am located), it located an image from my iPhone 4s taken at the Apple store in Farmington CT as Missouri, and lots of other wierd issues.

Have an one to one appointment tomorrow to try and find out what the problem is but any suggestions from you would be great.

Oct 2, 2012 11:54 PM in response to Mike1moss

That problem arises, when the "places" database does not contain a places name for the location (longitude, latitude) of your image. Then some place name will be chosen of a more general place with a large radius.

At what zoom level do you look at your places? Do the places names change, when you zoom in? When I lok at the places, usually the zoomed out view shows unusuable places names, but zooming in shows more specific and better names.

You may have some places defined, that have a very large, all encompassing radius associated with them. In this case all images taken within this radius and without an own assigned place label will be called "Essex". For example: I just defined a place "My Essex" covering all of England and other parts of Europe ike this:

User uploaded file

Now all places without own places name, but within this radius are showing as "My Essex", even in Spain and Ireland 😝.

User uploaded file

To fix this, go to "Metadata > Manage my Places" and either adjust the size of the radius or delete the particuar places causing this trouble.

You can also create your own places with correct names and assign the mislabelled images to the new names.

Léonie

Oct 4, 2012 1:21 PM in response to léonie

I did try the radius adjustemet and also deleting all my places in Metedate>Manage my Places and also spent 2 hours with one creative at the Apple store who brought in several others to look at my problem. They think my Pictures Library is the problem and suggest saving it to an external drive, deleting it from my internal drive and importing each project seperatly as a Library and testing to see if the issue re-occurs, a lot of time and effort.

I then had an Open Training session and that creative didn't like the elete and re-install idea, she thought it may be an issue with the 3.4.1 update and/or Mountain Lion.

To test this after I got home I did the following:

(Note: I “migrated” from my iMac to my new MacBook Pro, that’s how the Library got to my new MacBook Pro. Then I copied the “Master” library from my MacBook Pro to my external drive and then to an MacBook Pro older ( 2.4 Core 2 Duo 2GB 1067 DDR3 SRAM Purchased November 5, 2008) which is running Lion. Places works fine on this computer.

Both automatically from my iPhone and with manually located locations.

Then I dugout my my old iMac (2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 GB 677 DDR2 SDRAMPurchased December 9, 2006) running Lion and places Places works fine on this computer. Both automatically from my iPhone and with manually located locations.

Then Plugged my external drive into my new MacBook Pro and opened the Library on the external drive, the same one that I copied to the older MacBook Pro, and got the following message:

“An inconsistency in your database has been detected. The application will now quit, relaunch, and restore your database to a consistent state. This may take some time.”

After re-launching and restoring the same issue occurred as are occurring with my Library on the internal drive.

SO it appears the problem with Places has to do either with Mountain Lion or the 3.4.1 Aperture upgrade.

I am going to do more searching on symphonious.net and Apple's knowledge base to see if I'm correct.

Mike

Oct 4, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Mike1moss

Interesting findings, Mike. Thanks for letting us know.

After re-launching and restoring the same issue occurred as are occurring with my Library on the internal drive.

SO it appears the problem with Places has to do either with Mountain Lion or the 3.4.1 Aperture upgrade.

Or your library has a problem, that the previous Aperture versions ignored. Please let us know the result of the restoring.

Good luck with your further research.

Léonie

problems with Places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.