Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format External Hard drive to Mac format.

Hey! I have a Seagate hard drive (1.5 TB) and I want to run it on my MacBook Air but it's in NTFS format. I don't want to download any 3rd party side to run it. I want to Convert the hard drive's format so that it's compatible with Mac. I have a back up of all my data (I know it erases data when re-formatting). First a dialouge box used to come up prompting to convert and re-format it. But now nothing happens. How do I re-format it so that it's in the Ma's format??

P.S --> I downloaded the NTFS third party thing (trial version) and it's expired (finally) so do I need to uninstall it too?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 4:13 PM

Have you tried attaching it to your system, bringing up Disk Utility (in applications/utilities), click on it on the left, click the erase tab, erase it. Then click the partition tab, give it a name, indicate how many partitions you want, select mac os extended (journaled), and guid format?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2012 4:13 PM in response to Pranjal_Goel

Have you tried attaching it to your system, bringing up Disk Utility (in applications/utilities), click on it on the left, click the erase tab, erase it. Then click the partition tab, give it a name, indicate how many partitions you want, select mac os extended (journaled), and guid format?

Format External Hard drive to Mac format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.