Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s Wont Backup

I am having problems backing up my iPhone 4s. Every time I try a message comes up saying "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred" I have tried backing up to my Mac and via iCloud and neither will work. iTunes has been updated to 10.7. I have deleted old backups from iTunes. It is preventing me from installing iOS 6 on it. My iPad 2 backs up and installed iOS 6 with no problems at all. Any help would be appreciated!!

iMac

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:33 PM

7 replies

Dec 6, 2012 8:18 PM in response to Opticalove

I had the same error and just fixed it.

I'd moved the backup files to an external drive then deleted them from the library, but even without old backups, the process failed.

I tried many of the above suggestions, but eventually I tried unchecking the "Encrypt iPhone Backup"

My previous backups were encrypted with a password, so when I unchecked the box, I was prompted for that password, which let me remove the encryption.

I then rechecked the box, entered in a "new" password, but I used the same one as before. The back up ran and showed progress in a pop-up window. A few minutes later, it was done.

I've since tested it through the normal process and everything is working again.

Hope this helps.

iPhone 4s Wont Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.