Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS6 "Do Not Disturb": Only Calls, Right?

As far as I can tell, iOS6's New "do not disturb" feature only affects calls (phone or Facetime). That is, it can't be used to block other beepy disturbances, like texts, Email notifications, beeps from news apps, etc. Is that everybody else's impression as well?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:55 PM

You misunderstood. It will block all notification sounds and vibrations. Text messages, e-mail, app notifications, etc. as well as calls. The only thing it will not block are calls from numbers in whatever group you specified is allowed through (though it WILL block text message notifications from those same people), emergency calls if you've allowed them (2 calls in 3 minutes from the same number) and alarms.

It works quite well.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2012 2:55 PM in response to mr88cet

You misunderstood. It will block all notification sounds and vibrations. Text messages, e-mail, app notifications, etc. as well as calls. The only thing it will not block are calls from numbers in whatever group you specified is allowed through (though it WILL block text message notifications from those same people), emergency calls if you've allowed them (2 calls in 3 minutes from the same number) and alarms.

It works quite well.

Oct 3, 2012 5:15 AM in response to mr88cet

A quick follow up: I have a question about how the do-not-disturb switch setting relates to the timer for automatically turning on and off do-not-disturb feature.

I can imagine two possibilities:

1. The do-not-disturb switch turns on or off the entire do not disturb feature, including the automatic time-of-day on/off timer feature.

2. The do-not-disturb switch does not affect the automatic time-of-day on/off timer feature, and in fact the timer flips the do-not-disturb switch on and off at the indicated times. That is, the do-not-disturb switch is a continuous indicator of whether the device is or is not in do-not-disturb mode, regardless of whether the timer, or you manually, put it into that mode.

I think it's the second of the two: that is, it appears that the switch does not affect the timer, but the timer does affect the switch. So, for example, if I set it to go into do-not-disturb mode at 10PM, and the switch is off at 9:59PM, then at 10PM, the switch will automatically flip on at 10PM. That as opposed to the switch being off disabling the entire do-not-disturb feature, including the timer, thus preventing it from going into do-not-disturb mode at 10PM.

Oct 3, 2012 7:07 AM in response to KiltedTim

I'm pretty sure the answer is that the timer can turn off do-not-disturb even if you manually turn it on. I say that because yesterday (thinking that the switch turned on/off the entire do-not-disturb feature including the timer) I turned on the do-not-disturb switch, and that switch is - after the timer's turn-off time - now off.

IOS6 "Do Not Disturb": Only Calls, Right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.