Skip navigation

Sound Output on iMac

332 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 11:54 AM by BDAqua RSS
parker612 Level 4 Level 4 (1,195 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 2, 2012 4:48 PM

I have an iMac (late 2009) and I am trying to output my sound through my surround sound speakers. I have my iMac connected to my Surround Sound System's Reciever via a Digital Optical Cable (toslink), which is plugged in the headphone (output) of my iMac and the Optical input on my Reciever.

The problem I'm having is that when I go into Audio/MIDI Setup and select the "Built-in Output" for my sound source I can only ouput 2 channels. Not 8. What am I doing wrong?

My Surround System works when I use the MiniDisplay Port to output the sound but I can't seem to get the Optical Output to output surround sound :/

Note: The reason why I'm not just using the MiniDisplay Port is because I currently have an external monitor hooked up.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 27 inch; 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.