Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound Output on iMac

I have an iMac (late 2009) and I am trying to output my sound through my surround sound speakers. I have my iMac connected to my Surround Sound System's Reciever via a Digital Optical Cable (toslink), which is plugged in the headphone (output) of my iMac and the Optical input on my Reciever.

The problem I'm having is that when I go into Audio/MIDI Setup and select the "Built-in Output" for my sound source I can only ouput 2 channels. Not 8. What am I doing wrong?

My Surround System works when I use the MiniDisplay Port to output the sound but I can't seem to get the Optical Output to output surround sound :/

Note: The reason why I'm not just using the MiniDisplay Port is because I currently have an external monitor hooked up.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 27 inch; 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 4:48 PM

2 replies

Sound Output on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.