Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 5 have a purple haze in pictures?

I know why, as light enters at varying angles it refracts within the sapphire lens to produce a purple haze in the pictures. Normally, I wouldn't care all that much, but it looks like you can't take a panoramic photo in sunlight because there's purple lines showing up throughout it. What should I do? I was one of those crazy people who waited in line for 16 hours that Thursday night / Friday morning to be some of the first in the world for the iPhone 5. I'

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 9:33 PM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2012 11:42 AM in response to MartyOne

the "lens flare" as explained has always been there. but in the iphone 5, i'd gamble to say that it being purple tinted is likely a "feature" of the sapphire crystal.

the sapphire crystal is supposed to improve the cameras low light performance. whether it does or does not, i've not done side by side tests - so i can't say. but IF that comes at the cost of a high probablity that ALL your images with noticeable light source contrast will have some degree of purple halo - doesnt seem like a good trade-off to me...

here is a video i shot of the purple haze in action...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u417D71GM8&list=UUU3awgmoTZc3tBiJv4qzz9Q&index=1 &feature=plcp

Sep 22, 2013 7:41 AM in response to wgzn

wgzn wrote:

the "lens flare" as explained has always been there. but in the iphone 5, i'd gamble to say that it being purple tinted is likely a "feature" of the sapphire crystal.

the sapphire crystal is supposed to improve the cameras low light performance. whether it does or does not, i've not done side by side tests - so i can't say. but IF that comes at the cost of a high probablity that ALL your images with noticeable light source contrast will have some degree of purple halo - doesnt seem like a good trade-off to me...

here is a video i shot of the purple haze in action...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u417D71GM8&list=UUU3awgmoTZc3tBiJv4qzz9Q&index=1 &feature=plcp

Whatever the cause, it seems that iOS 7 has solved the problem. I see no sign of the purple haze when a light source comes in from the sides of the shot now. I am surprised no on had mentioned it before.

Why does my iPhone 5 have a purple haze in pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.