Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app will no longer download new podcasts

For the last several days, this has been happening to me. I tap the download button, sometimes the podcast will begin to download, and sometimes it will stall at "preparing to download." Even when the podcast appears to fully download, I can only listen to it if I am connected to 3G or wifi. If I go into airplane mode, the podcast seems to be available, but it won't play. I have podcasts from last week that seem to be there - this has only happened in the last several days. I have killed and restarted the app multiple times, I have restarted the iphone, and I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm running ios6 on an iPhone 4s.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:40 PM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2012 8:23 AM in response to michaeljohnson0664

I'm having this exact same problem. Here's how it happened for me:

I was in my house about to leave waiting for someone, and it dawned on me to download some new or recent episodes of a podcast. I went into the Podcast app and started them, and then locked my device thinking that the episodes would be downloading. Little did I know they weren't on my wifi for some reason. I found this out when the person I was waiting for was ready to leave so we could go somewhere and I unlocked my phone in the car. At that point I switched over to LTE and the oldest of these 3 episodes I wanted to download started downloading and was completed in seconds. When it got to the other 2 remaining episodes, they both just had the status of "Preparing to download..." With the loading wheel that tells you how much has been downloaded at 0%. Still right now it's like this. Could this just be an issue with LTE, the podcast, or any of iTunes podcasts as a whole?

Feb 28, 2013 8:34 AM in response to michaeljohnson0664

I'm getting the same problem - and more - on the new Podcasts app and utterly hate it. Have no idea why they moved the podcasts functionality (which worked) into a new broken app. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong; podcasts won't download, if they _do_ download then they just sometimes disappear, podcasts won't play (for some reason, I have to go and play another podcast and _then_ return to one I previously tried, which then works),

the app won't background properly (which means that, after pausing a podcast, instead of just pressing Play, I have to go back into the app from the start and queue up the podcast AGAIN....

The list of problems with this app go on and on and on.

P.

Podcast app will no longer download new podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.