Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We have an old crt g4 emac (It is in a white casing, I think they were termed 'snowbirds?') that was running on 10.3 7. whe are trying to upgrade it to 10.4x but it will not start the upgrade sequence. Any suggestions?

We have an old crt g4 emac (It is in a white casing, I think they were termed 'snowbirds?') that was running on 10.3 7. We are trying to upgrade it to 10.4x but it will not start the upgrade sequence. Any suggestions? And while we are at it, how high can I upgrade this dinosaur?

John Kidwell AKA jmyron

emac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:19 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2012 7:52 AM in response to jmyron

You must use retail install disks for Tiger to upgrade (black with a big "X"). The grey system install/restore disks tha shipped with another Mac usually fail, and the grey diskd shipped with an Intel Mac always fails.

Most Tiger retail disks are on DVD. Many earlier eMacs shipped with only CD or CD-R drives. That's been a problem for upgrading in many cases.

If the computer is not running, you can determine the variant you have from this Apple article:

How to locate the serial number and identify your model

We have an old crt g4 emac (It is in a white casing, I think they were termed 'snowbirds?') that was running on 10.3 7. whe are trying to upgrade it to 10.4x but it will not start the upgrade sequence. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.