Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to iOS 6 and now I can't open anything in the kindle app? I have to say that I have had my ipad3 for 6 months and intensely dislike the problems with using it. Also is there any way of opening more than one screen as it is hopeless otherwise?

I Have had my iPad for 6 months as I cannot access my work emails using windows. I have to say that it is the most unhelpful device I have ever used and although it looks like there isn't an answer for some of the questions I have asked below, I thought I would try!

1) I have upgraded to ios6 and the kindle app will open but crashes and disappears when I try to access a book?

2) is there any way I can open more than one page at a time, as opening one at a time is hopeless?

3) Is there any way you can replicate the right click function on word? As pasting and copying on the iPad is irritating to say the least!

4) why can't my Samsung 11 phone connect to my iPad via Bluetooth? A they can't seem to 'see' each other? I may have turned a setting off when I was recently abroad and didn't want huge roaming charges.

5) Why do the submit buttons on some websites not work and how can I get them to? I never have a problem with windows, but it is often a problem with the iPad.

6) I have several websites which I have built and usually upgrade on the windows desktop, usually through Internet explorer, but I can't access the sites properly on the iPad (I can see them but can't alter them) and when sending emails through the websites they won't show the page and I can't navigate the page (the size of the email page is bigger than the iPad screen, but I can't either shrink the page to size or move the page around as you normally would on the pad, any ideas?

7) finally, when roaming abroad recently, I had no problems using the wifi, but when trying to use the cellular data (using the roaming function) I could not get it to work? The ipad seemed to be connected to the network with no problems, but wouldn't actually update the emails? I tried turning it on and off, but that didn't make a difference. My kindle and mobile phone (both also on 3G ) worked great, it was just (as usual) the ipad playing up.

8) when wanting to alter part of a sentence, I can't always get the cursor in the right place? Sometimes it is simple the wrong line, but often it will only go at the end or start of a word and not where I want it. Is there any way of making it more exact? Again I never have a problem with moving the cursor on windows, either by mouse or on the touch screen function on windows 7. Any ideas? As after pressing the screen multiple times I just want to throw it out of the window!

IT might just be that I don't have the correct settings (I am a technophobe) but I absolutely hate the iPad and only have it for work emails, it is so annoying that I can get my mobile phone and kindle3g to work fine, but always have problems with the iPad. I am sure it could be good (and for reading emails on the go in the uk it is great, as I like the key board) but it just seems to make everything else difficult.

i Hope you can help and sorry for asking questions others have, but I am just hoping that something new might have been developed!

thanks,

K

Message was edited by: K Paton

Ipad3 4g -OTHER, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:45 AM

It's really a long list you've there:

1) I have upgraded to ios6 and the kindle app will open but crashes and disappears when I try to access a book?

Did you check if Kindle have a version compatible to IOS6?

Do a reset (Hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons about 10 secs or more till Apple logo appears, ignore the Slide to Power Off that appears)

Note: You will not lose any data.

2) is there any way I can open more than one page at a time, as opening one at a time is hopeless?

No.

3) Is there any way you can replicate the right click function on word? As pasting and copying on the iPad is irritating to say the least!

No.

4) why can't my Samsung 11 phone connect to my iPad via Bluetooth? A they can't seem to 'see' each other? I may have turned a setting off when I was recently abroad and didn't want huge roaming charges.

File transfer using Bluetooth is not supported

5) Why do the submit buttons on some websites not work and how can I get them to? I never have a problem with windows, but it is often a problem with the iPad.

Some website are optimize for a certain type of browser.

Check Settings > Safari >

Private Browsing: OFF

Accept Cookies > From Visited or Always

JavaScript: ON

6) I have several websites which I have built and usually upgrade on the windows desktop, usually through Internet explorer, but I can't access the sites properly on the iPad (I can see them but can't alter them) and when sending emails through the websites they won't show the page and I can't navigate the page (the size of ten email page is bigger than the iPad screen, but I can't either sharing the page to size or move the page around as you normally would on the pad, any ideas?

Safari on iPad is read only.

7) finally, when roaming abroad recently, I had no problems using the wifi, but when trying to use the cellular data (using the roaming function) I could not get it to work? The ipad seemed to be connected to the network with no problems, but wouldn't actually update the emails? I tried turning it on and off, but that didn't make a difference. My kindle and mobile phone (both also on 3G ) worked great, it was just (as usual) the ipad playing up.

Settings > Cellular Data >

Cellular Data: ON?

Data Roaming: ON?

Reading List: ON?

You have to check with your carrier if roaming is not working.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2012 4:45 AM in response to K Paton

It's really a long list you've there:

Did you check if Kindle have a version compatible to IOS6?

Do a reset (Hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons about 10 secs or more till Apple logo appears, ignore the Slide to Power Off that appears)

Note: You will not lose any data.

No.

No.

File transfer using Bluetooth is not supported

Some website are optimize for a certain type of browser.

Check Settings > Safari >

Private Browsing: OFF

Accept Cookies > From Visited or Always

JavaScript: ON

6) I have several websites which I have built and usually upgrade on the windows desktop, usually through Internet explorer, but I can't access the sites properly on the iPad (I can see them but can't alter them) and when sending emails through the websites they won't show the page and I can't navigate the page (the size of ten email page is bigger than the iPad screen, but I can't either sharing the page to size or move the page around as you normally would on the pad, any ideas?

Safari on iPad is read only.

Settings > Cellular Data >

Cellular Data: ON?

Data Roaming: ON?

Reading List: ON?

You have to check with your carrier if roaming is not working.

Oct 3, 2012 6:05 AM in response to K Paton

Try rebooting your iPad, that should fix he issue. I that doesn't work, delete the app and re-download it. The Kindle books should all be in he Kindle cloud services and you can get them again. I have an iPad2 w/ Kindle app and it works just fine - no issues.

Page as in a kindle book way? turn iPad to landscape position from portrait position. If, however, you mean open more than one application at a time, then no. And not hopeless, as it takes a bit of time to get used to, going from a desktop/laptop format to tablet format.

It's actually fairly easy. Press down on the word, then you can expand by drawing your finger to cover word/sentence/paragraph/page, hit select or select all then it gives you the option to cut, copy, paste, define. If you want to use a word processing app on the iPad, Pages is a good application.

It's the connection on your phone. Samsung Galaxy SII? Android software? What you have to do is go to the phone's settings and connect via wireless, not Bluetooth. Go to System Settings (on phone) and under Wireless and Networks click 'more' and go to the Tethering and Portable Hotspot option. Set up your mobile wifi hotspot, name it though it will probably come up with 'AndroidAP', choose a WPA2 security level and put in a password. Go back to previous screen and turn on 'Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot' box. Then on your iPad in the Settings - Wi-Fi section, it should then recognize your phone for tethering. If it's a Windows Phone 7, I don't know the layout of that software, but presumeably similar.

Sometimes the issue is with the website design, not all websites are optimized for mobile devices - not just iPad but also Android devices. It happens. They're getting there, but occasionally the page might need a refresh.

6) I have several websites which I have built and usually upgrade on the windows desktop, usually through Internet explorer, but I can't access the sites properly on the iPad (I can see them but can't alter them) and when sending emails through the websites they won't show the page and I can't navigate the page (the size of the email page is bigger than the iPad screen, but I can't either shrink the page to size or move the page around as you normally would on the pad, any ideas?

It depends on what you use to build the websites on the computer. Recommend a free program on the computer called CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor. I don't recommend using IE period; Firefox or Chrome are my choices on Windows machines. I have two websites that I manage, both using this program. I'm assuming that when you mean you can't access the sites on the iPad you mean to update them? Ostensible there are apps to let you do this. What format are the sites? Without seeing what exactly you mean and what you want to do, it's hard to explain.

As for seeing full page while emailing within a site, turn iPad to portrait mode, and try to finger-pinch touch the screen to see if that will bring the fuller page into view. Other option is opening a second tab with same website and just go between tabs to reference material.

If you were outside the US or Canada, my guess is the problem lies within the SIM card in your iPad. If you were outside North America, there are different band levels - I'm guessing you have a SIM thats locked to a particular provider. Band level frequencies differ per country/continent, so a SIM card that will work in Canada/US will not likely work in UK/Europe/Asia/Australia, etc. you will be able to get your emails again when back on a wifi network. Mobile phone may have a different type SIM card (GSM/HSPA) from your iPad SIM. Also, check your email settings.

8) when wanting to alter part of a sentence, I can't always get the cursor in the right place? Sometimes it is simple the wrong line, but often it will only go at the end or start of a word and not where I want it. Is there any way of making it more exact? Again I never have a problem with moving the cursor on windows, either by mouse or on the touch screen function on windows 7. Any ideas? As after pressing the screen multiple times I just want to throw it out of the window!

Moving the cursor on a sentence is a matter of putting your finger on the screen where you want it. It's exceptionally easy to do. I'm using the Notes app to write this whole segment and I just need to put my finger where I want to change things and presto it's ready for me to change where I want it.

Here's a solution: sell your iPad (after you wipe your data off it) to someone who will appreciate it, and put your money towards the Windows Surface Tablet out later this year/early next year, where you can (reportedly) connect a mouse to it. It will have some of the Windows 7/8 functionality that you're more familiar with, or get a netbook.

- Ceridwyn2

Oct 3, 2012 7:07 AM in response to K Paton

H guys,

Ckuan many thanks for your reply, I will definitely try your suggestions when I get home and thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

Ceridwyn2 thanks for you reply and trust me, if work changes their security system, the iPad will go as soon as possible. I was so disappointed after I purchased it, as it is more like an overpriced 'toy' than a proper computer and I had no idea that it would be unable to work with so many systems and programmes, making it pretty much useless, as least with trusty old windows you can usually find a programme which will enable it to work. I presume I would very much prefer a windows based tablet, but I am too tight to purchase another one and it will only be something else I have to carry in my bag.

When I bought the ipad I got all of the accessories with it, including Apple TV, as I thought that it would be cool to watch the videos I had taken on the iPad on my Samsung 8000 series tv, (which was very easy to setup and use) but cannot face trying to synch the iPad with the tv as no doubt it won't work (my Samsung phone apparently won't connect by Bluetooth to the iPad)

There are some good points, reading emails and browsing on the go in the uk are very convenient and the keyboard which comes up on the screen is absolutely great (I bought the separate keyboard when I bought the ipad but never bothered to use it) but that's it as far as I can see. It is probably good for those who want to spend time working out what the ipad can do, but I am more of a plug in and go person and get annoyed when I can't do what I want.

Anyway,

Thanks so much for your help guys (or girls) it really is very much appreciated (even if I am still have a rant about the iPad....I am female and I can't help it, honest :-)

Thanks,

K.

Oct 3, 2012 9:01 AM in response to K Paton

Oh, I'm also a girl and a tech geek and a nurse. I use the iPad for quite a lot: videos, music, news, internet, photography editing, writing (I have a Zagg/Logitech Bluetooth keyboard/case).

With an HDMI connector/cable, I can connect iPad to tv, if I want.

As I said before, no, it won't connect via bluetooth to tether. You need to set your phone up as a wireless hotspot in order to tether.

Oct 3, 2012 9:07 AM in response to K Paton

And just as a curious question, before you bought it, did you not ask the sales clerk about it's capabilities and what you wanted in a tablet - or researched the device before buying it? Also tell them what you needed in a device, the kinds of programs you work with? Would have saved you some hassles/confusion.

An iPad3 (New iPad) will sell well on ebay - check out what other sellers are asking for it first before you put it up there or post it for sale elsewhere.

Oct 3, 2012 12:28 PM in response to ceridwyn2

Dear Ceridwyn2

I am not going to get into a long discussion, but I bought it because it was the only tablet which would work with a certain security system. It was a decision between either a mobile phone or a tablet. I do not like emailing on a mobile phone as I find texting tedious.

I did research the iPad, purely to decide which model to purchase. Most forums just said how great the iPad was and didn't mention the drawbacks. Ditto in the store (I had to go to another shop to find out more about printers as the apple store would only discuss their printer and would not help with any other options.

I have to keep the ipad (unfortunately) to access secure emails, as other than mobile phones it is the only option.

I did hope the iPad would be more use and am very disappointed with it and cannot understand why people rave over it, but then that it is purely my own opinion.

I only purchase gadgets and technology to do a job and other than that I have no interest (I got bought an iPod as a gift when they first came out and have never used it) but still think that anything windows based is more user friendly, as it can be used far more widely than the limited iPad. For instance pages does not work anything like as well as word etc.

Thanks for your posts, but it might be helpful if you personally start a forum stating how much you cannot do on an iPad, as it is not compatible.

Regards,

K.

Upgraded to iOS 6 and now I can't open anything in the kindle app? I have to say that I have had my ipad3 for 6 months and intensely dislike the problems with using it. Also is there any way of opening more than one screen as it is hopeless otherwise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.