Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash continues to stop working after Safari 6.0.1 update OSX10.7.5

Recently I ran the System Updater which included - OSX 10.7.5, Safari 6.0.1 and iPhoto 9.4

Flash websites immediately stopped working in Safari - no problem. Reinstalled Flash. Plug-in version 11.4.402.265 is installed.

Everything Flash works fine - for a while - but eventually stops and I have to reinstall Flash AGAIN.

I've done this a few times now. The strangest one - last night I went to bed and left an open Safari page on a You Tube video (not playing) - this morning it's blacked out and once again Flash is DOA. Reinstalling of course will fix it, for now.

Installed Extensions -

1Password - and that's it.

Installed Plug-Ins -

Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.3

Google Earth Plug-in

iPhotoPhotocast

Java Applet Plug-in

QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.1

Shockwave Flash

WebKit built-in PDF

Applications running last night - Quicktime, Text Edit, EyeTV, iTunes, iCal, Libre Office, Mail, Safari (plus some little utilities like Dropbox, Epson Event Manager, Calendar Plus etc.)

Installing Flash again now - but any ideas on what's going on?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), i7 - 27" 2.93GHz

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 12:24 PM

Uninstall any old Flash versions then reinstall new.

Uninstall > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Very important uninstall the currently installed plugin first.

Then reinstall new > http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT

Then open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab.

Click: Delete All

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2012 12:24 PM in response to igirl1

Uninstall any old Flash versions then reinstall new.

Uninstall > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Very important uninstall the currently installed plugin first.

Then reinstall new > http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT

Then open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab.

Click: Delete All

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

Oct 4, 2012 9:14 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you - so far no issues after this reinstall procedure - but it will need to be tested/verified over the long term to see if it holds.

FWIW I've had ClickToFlash installed in the past (Flash is far less of a problem than it used to be some years ago) but as the post noted - only ONE extension now installed. Clean and simple.

Will update later, thanks again!

Oct 6, 2012 8:20 AM in response to igirl1

OK, either yesterday or today, Flash stopped working again!

This time, I had a thought just before I reinstalled it again - what if I DON'T reinstall Flash - and just quit/restart Safari instead?

Viola, Flash worked again. So - possibly something I'm doing (web surfing or running a program) is causing it to stop working at some point. Hmmm. :-/

Flash continues to stop working after Safari 6.0.1 update OSX10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.