Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change mouse settings in System Preferences

Hello.

I have a managed user account where I want to change the mouse settings (for a standard USB Apple mouse) in System Prefs. I want to change the right click from "primary button" to "secondary button".

However, after making the adjustment and exiting System Prefs the setting reverts back to the default (primary button). So when I reopen System Preferences, the "secondary button" is reset to "primary button".

The managed settings for this account do not restrict System Preferences. It is only setup to stop the dock being modified.

I've tried deleting the com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile in users/*account*/LIbrary/Preferences without luck. I've also reset the ACLs for the user also with no luck. If I create a fresh account then the problem goes away. Unfortunately I can't just create a new account in this instance.

Has anyone else has this issue and found a resolution?

Many thanks in advance,

Image 1 (below): Changes made to right click and other buttons

User uploaded file

Image 2: System preferences closed and then reopened, settings automatically revert to factory default

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:27 AM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2012 8:37 AM in response to saleemmartin

Hi again,

I may have found a solution by deleting two preference files:

This will work if you are using a standard USB Apple mouse.

In your user account locate Library (hidden) then the Preferences folder. Delete the following files:

• com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist
  • com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist.lockfile

Then logout of the user and log back in again.

This effectively rebuilds your mouse preferences. If you have a wireless mouse or another mouse, there may be other drivers above or below these entrys which you could try to delete, but I definately don't suggest you do this unless you know exactly what you're doing!

Find below a screen shot of the finder path:

User uploaded file

Hope it helps!

Oct 5, 2012 12:21 PM in response to saleemmartin

thanks I will try this with my original Apple Bluetooth mouse.

I went ahead and bought a new magic mouse and what happened is that the mouse preferences screen changed to a different look, and suddeny all functions work properly.

then I tried reconnecting the old bluetooth mouse and still it would not work. even though the preferences had not changed.

will try your method above and report back to see if I can get the older bluetooth mouse to work.

Oct 5, 2012 12:59 PM in response to saleemmartin

hi again. i tried trashing those drivers, the two seleemmartin detailed above. Alas, it did not work for me. so I guess apple just got another $69 from me for a new magic mouse since i need that right click function. I like the magic mouse, definitely smoother and feels better than the mighty mouse, Just unfortunate and a bit shady that they don't come out and tell you the things that won't work, that you'll have to buy, in order to fully use the new OS.

I mean, a mouse? And an Apple mouse at that.

Feb 19, 2013 10:50 AM in response to saleemmartin

Hi,

I have an Apple magic mouse with my iMac, running OSx 10.6.8.

About a month ago I suffered a hand injury and so decided to switch my primary and secondary buttons on my mouse. I'm ready to start using my hand again, but now for some reason I cannot seem to find the option in Preferences/Mouse to change the buttons back.

All I have are the Tracking, Scrolling and Double-click options (see attached screenshot) and there is no sign of the option to switch prim. and sec. buttons again.

I uninstalled a graphics tablet I had, I turned the mouse off and on again, I restarted the computer, I googled for answers but no luck.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.User uploaded file

Unable to change mouse settings in System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.