Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does something sound loose inside the iphone5?

I got the phone on wed, sep 26 and immediately noticed a little clicking noise in the rear of the phone. in order to reproduce it, i need only to tap very lightly on the back of the phone between the logo and the top edge.

apple support sent me a new unit, and out of the box, the replacement is worse. i'm just trying to figure out if this is super-widespread or what. after the super-solid feeling of the 4, this is disconcerting. i don't want to go through this again with another unit.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, rattling noise -- something loose?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:44 AM

6 replies

Oct 3, 2012 8:54 AM in response to George Cassello

i checked my coworkers, as well, and it has the same noise. i still get it, when depressing the button; could this mean it's something with the internal housing that holds the button in place. you can understand my desire not to start out with a phone in which a connection is going to wiggle loose as soon as the protection expires ... i'd really like to get a solid answer before giving up.

Dec 16, 2012 4:06 PM in response to The_Proph

Noise Problem cured !!!

My iPhone 5 made a rattling noise when shaken after it had "a few falls"

I read in one of the forums that it was the battery coming away from the adhesive.

I checked iFixit teardown of the iPhone 5 and noted the very large battery which occupies two thirds of the screen space from left to right (starting from above the headphone jack side).

I'm not surprised that if it comes loose that it is the cause of the clunking rattle.

One of the forums contributors suggested gradually pressing all the area of the phone on the outside that overlies the battery inside pressing hard between front and back over all of the screen area from left to right that fronts the battery inside. In this way one pushes the battery back on to the adhesive !!

It works perfectly - Problem cured !! - J B Walsh

does something sound loose inside the iphone5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.