Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't customize mail's compose toolbar

I think I used to be able to customize the toolbar for the compose email window with Apple's Mail program.

Seems in mountain lion that when I bring up a new compose window and then go to the View menu, that the customize option is greyed out. And right clicking on the toolbar doesn't give me a dropdown option.

I want to add an "add link" icon to my compose toolbar.

Does anyone have a workaround or suggestion?

thanks

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:44 AM

15 replies

Oct 3, 2012 10:00 AM in response to thomas_r.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This is the OLD mail program and indeed you used to be able to customize the toolbar. Now it seems you can't. That is why I was asking for any work arounds.

I do wish people would more craefully read the content of posts before responding. I stated clearly that I am using Mountain Lion. I also stated clearly that this is a function that used to exist but that doesn't seem to any more.

Oct 3, 2012 10:33 AM in response to explorz

In that case, something is wrong with your Mail setup somewhere. The first thing that I would try is to delete Mail's preferences and re-create them from scratch. You will have to re-create all your accounts, but this should not affect any of your mail, as Mail will re-locate the mailboxes and data therein after you re-create the account.

Quit Mail. Then, assuming you are using the latest version of Mountain Lion and Mail, in the Finder, choose Go -> Go to Folder and paste in the following path:

/Users/thomas/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences

In the folder that opens, find the com.apple.mail.plist file. Move it to the desktop. Then re-open Mail and set it up from scratch. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can avoid some of the headaches of reconfiguring by quitting Mail, then moving the old preference file from the desktop back to where it came from, replacing the newer version.

Oct 3, 2012 10:37 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas,

The screen shot you supplied seems not to be from Mountain Lion. if that is the case, then the advice you're giving is not correct.

Can you confirm that you are running the newest mail program from mountain lion? Because the sceen shot shows the words "New Mail" at the trop of the window and that does not happen in Mountain Lion. AND the icon arrangements are from an old vbersion of mail.

Can't customize mail's compose toolbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.