Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the default email address in iOS6?

I noticed that I can't change my default email address in the new iOS6. I have several email addresses but even when I reply to an email sent to me at one of my addresses the 'from' address in my reply always defaults to only one address. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to be able to change it. Any suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:13 AM

14 replies

Oct 3, 2012 11:46 AM in response to OCRiderCraig

When replying to an email, the default From address is the address that the email was sent to, regardless of what you have in Settings. The default account in Settings only applies to new messages that you originate on your device.

If you want to reply to an email from a different address, on your reply email just tap the From address and you should see a list of your accounts to select from. However, only accounts that are active (turned ON) will appear as an option.

Oct 3, 2012 11:59 AM in response to OCRiderCraig

Let me get this straight ... when you reply to an email, the From address is always the same address even if the message wasn't sent to that address? I'm not experiencing that on iOS 6 -- the From is always the address of the Inbox I'm replying from, or if I'm replying from the consolidated inbox the From address is always the one that the email arrived at.

What type of account is (erroneously) being used as your default?

Nov 19, 2012 3:00 PM in response to Bahmanns

Bahmanns wrote:

Go to Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendar --> scroll down to Mail: Default Account (just above contacts) and choose the default email account. This should do it!

Guess you missed where I suggested the same thing and the OP explained why it doesn't work for them. It's generally a good idea to read the entire thread before answering. 🙂

Best of luck.

Dec 8, 2012 10:57 AM in response to OCRiderCraig

Hi everyone

Sorry however I'm experiencing a similiar issue, in that I have 10 differing email accounts.

However in the default email accounts, for some bizarre reason, only 4 show, being icloud, one of my older yahoo email accounts, my work email and then "From My PC".

I run two other businesses of which I have a proper Google Mail Business Accountsfor each, but non of my google email address show in the default list.

Is there any reason why?

I actually want one of those to show.

I have put my google mail to the top of the inbox, however it still doesn't show?

I've also put the default calendar as my google business account but still the default account doesn't display.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

How do I change the default email address in iOS6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.