Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 macbook pro 3 second freeze

i recently purchased a 2007 macbook pro used (obviously). it's running mountain lion, with 3g of ram, 2.2ghz core two duo.

the problem...

i do electronic music with various programs and instruments and controllers.. but none of that seems to be the root of this problem.. that's pretty much all i'm using this computer for though, is music applications.. traktor 2, ableton 8 suite, and maschine.. every half hour or so, everything locks up for about 3-5 seconds, and then picks back up where it left off.. i've mostly noticed it in traktor, but that is just what i've been using the most.. it has also done it while in ableton, while using maschine in stand alone, and also while playing a mp4 file using quicktime..

please help??

thanks!!

dave

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:39 AM

16 replies

Oct 3, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

check, dale.. i ran the disk utility and did both disk repair and verify.. that took all of 10 seconds, and both came back "ok".. personally, i'm wondering if it's the osx, because when i run software update and the app store, mountain lion is not on the list of purchased products.. and when i bought this computer, the guy said that he had the dmg to reinstall it if i ever needed to.. that sounds fishy to me.. i'm wondering how i can verify my osx now..

thanks..

Oct 3, 2012 10:23 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

it says 3gig.. when i investigate the memory further, it shows two slots, a one gig stick and a two gig stick.. i'm seriously questioning the os though, like i said.. something is fishy about this guy specifically telling me that he kept the .dmg file of the 10.8 osx.. because now that i see how mountain lion works, the upgrade should have happened out of the app store.. or when you upgrade, do you download a .dmg file??? when i open app store, i changed over to my account that i have had with my other mac, and of course it doesn't show that i've bought mountain lion.. so i wonder if i'll still get the system updates that come along every so often..

thanks!!

Oct 3, 2012 10:52 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

I looked up your model Pro and the RAM arrangement is correct for a 2007 2.2ghz MacBook Pro.

On the dmg thing, I thought you were talking about an employee at the Apple store. He, previous owner, probably copied it somehow from the App store. You should get any updates you need from Apple. It's what OSX is installed that matters.

The issue for you is if you have to reinstall. You might have to buy it from the App store or get that dmg from him. Did he give you any disks with the Pro?

Oct 4, 2012 9:00 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

no.. i didn't get any physical disks.. i do however have a hard copy of snow leopard, but i installed it once already on my other mac, and it's a 2006 macbook intel core duo, so that's as far as i'm taking the upgrades for that machine.. all that i have for this pro is that .dmg file.. it's actually on the hard drive.. if i had to wipe the drive i don't know how i would accomplish it.. this 5 second audio freeze is really not going to work for me though.. i want to figure out how to address it.. maybe an app that will help.. something.. i tried adjusting buffers and all that in the software that i use.. it doesn't seem like a buffer issue.. everything runs smooth till it chokes for a couple seconds.. then it continues on for another half hour and does it again.. i did an hour mix last night and it happened twice..

thanks!!

Oct 4, 2012 10:43 PM in response to InSinner8

Hmm... The several seconds every half hour sounds suspicious to me... Is your system connected to a wired or wireless network? If you are not connected, it could be the system trying to check for a network connection and "hanging" while it realizes that it's still not connected.

I have a late 2007 MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz) that I have owned for nearly 5 years, and I haven't seen anything like you describe, but I will admit that for the last 6 months or so it has gotten less use as I have recently replaced it with a late 2011 model. I still have my older machine and it's still working, but I do seem to hace it connected to my home network via a hard wired connection most of the time.

Oct 8, 2012 7:43 PM in response to InSinner8

InSinner8 wrote:

i recently purchased a 2007 macbook pro used (obviously). it's running mountain lion, with 3g of ram, 2.2ghz core two duo.

...music applications.. traktor 2, ableton 8 suite, and maschine..

Do you have the latest updates for those music apps? Navtive Instruments state the sys requirements for Traktor 2 as "Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)." It does not look like they've released a Mountain Lion compatible version just yet. You might check the NI user forum. Ableton 8.3.1 is compatible with Mountian Lion. It could be that the RAM gets maxed out while processing commands and once done is freed up. Also, I think 4 GB RAM will work in that MacBook Pro.

HTH

Oct 8, 2012 10:34 PM in response to LilyLC

that is indeed very thoughtful.. thanks lily!! i'm going to try running ableton for a while, and see if it has trouble too.. i'm thinking that maxing out the last gig of ram couldn't hurt either.. it just ***** that i have this nice (new to me) pro that is having more issues running traktor 2 than the 06 macbook intel core duo that i have!! lol.. i just played for two hours off of it, and no issues..

really want to solve this..

i'll keep this up to date till it is..

thanks!!

Oct 9, 2012 12:21 PM in response to InSinner8

InSinner8 wrote:

it just ***** that i have this nice (new to me) pro that is having more issues running traktor 2 than the 06 macbook intel core duo that i have!!

That is strange. Perhaps consider verifying the hard disk is okay with Disk Utility...

The link to the Compatibility table that Dale provided shows that Maschine 1.7 compatibility with Mountain Lion is unknown. That version was released mid-September 2011.

thanks!!

You're welcome. Good Luck! 😉

2007 macbook pro 3 second freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.