Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting admin password using AppleID

I've been trying to help out a friend who is trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but can't because they've forgotten their admin / user password.

I found this article about how to reset it by using your AppleID:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4798

However, he gets as far as System Prefs > Users & Groups > Change (to the right of the AppleID) and is prompted for a Password (I assume his AppleID password, but apparently its rejecting it.)

Not sure why (I'm already running ML perhaps), but when I click on Change I don't get prompted for a password, and am able to remove or add Apple IDs in there.

Any ideas how to sort this out much appreciated. (Assuming he's using the correct AppleID password!)

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:56 AM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2012 1:42 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn - that was the article I found, and clicked on 'Resetting the original Administrator account password' and then 'Reset your user password with your AppleID'.

Which is where we ran into trouble - on my machine I can change my AppleID in Users & Groups without entering a password, but my friend was prompted for a password at that stage.

Resetting admin password using AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.