Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I forced to buy SD movies from my computer when I can buy and download HD movies from my AppleTV?

I have been buying HD Movies with my AppleTV2. I prefer to buy the HD version. I have well over 300 as of this time. The process goes, to purchase the movie on iTunes with AppleTV... then download the HD and SD versions, plus iTunes extra to my Mac's (external) hard drive for playback thru my AppleTV to my large flat panel TV (in HD). I do the exact same thing when I purchase a (Pre order) movie from iTunes. Everything works well and everybody is happy. The thing that I can't understand is that when I brows the HD movies in iTunes and go to purchase the HD movie, an error pops up telling me "this computer can't play back HD movies". It then "forces" me to purchase the SD version for a lower price. (Computer is MacMini - but I have others that do the exact same thing) This bug has happened to me using iTines for a long time. Shure, I can power up my TV system... but I should not have to do that. I am shure there are other users that have had or are having this "problem" Sometimes I forget to order the movie when I do power up my TV system. I would appreciate any soluton to my problem if you have one.

Thanking you in advance

Alex Taylor

AppleTV 2

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 12:47 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2012 12:59 PM in response to Anything that will get me past

iTunes: Purchasing and viewing HD videos

"

When you purchase an HD video on a supported device or computer, only HD video will be downloaded. To download the SD version, you need to download the video again from your Purchased page. Conversely, if you purchase an HD video on an unsupported device, the SD version will be downloaded. Then, you will need to download the HD version from your Purchased page. Learn more about downloading previous purchases."

Oct 3, 2012 1:21 PM in response to roaminggnome

see... my point is that I am forced to buy the SD version at "THE LOWER PRICE". If I go to the iTunes download page, this SD movie will be in the process of downloading. I am not going to get an HD movie for a SD price. The problem starts from the purchase... or am I missing something?

PS... does this mean that I can download an HD movie purchased on my "New iPad" that is connected to my Mac by WiFi... and the HD movie file will end up in my iTunes movie folder???😮

Why am I forced to buy SD movies from my computer when I can buy and download HD movies from my AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.