Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina - Fan/Heat During File Transfer

Hey guys,

I just had my MacBook Pro Retina in for repair because of an 4HDD/11/400000000: Sata (0,0) error and they replaced the SSD. I have a 2.7/16/768 configuration. One of the main issues I noticed was periodically slow file transfers, load times and boots hanging etc. and a secondary reason was a high-pitched buzzing with heavy disk usage.

My question now is... when I'm doing something as simple as a large file transfer, or installing some apps etc. the MacBook really heats up and the fans really start spinning sometimes. I've never known SSD access to heat up a computer so much. Is this normal behaviour that everyone else is experiencing with their systems? To clarify: this happens when not doing anything else with the machine other than copying files around, also when copying files to/from my external drive which is connected through FireWire on the back of my 27" Thunderbolt display which is then of course connected to the MacBook via the Thunderbolt port.

Expected behaviour? Seems odd to me, but this is my first MacBook so don't know if that's the 'norm' or not.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:34 PM

There are no replies.

MacBook Pro Retina - Fan/Heat During File Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.