Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS6 Traffic System Service running without Maps Open?

I've noticed that the "arrow" for Location Services is on while I'm driving (or in the car so to speak), even when I have no apps open.

By looking in Location Services and System Services, I can see that Traffic was the culprit.

Here's what I have on in Location Services:

-- Find My iphone

-- Maps

In System Services (at the bottom of Location Services):

-- Traffic

Anyone else notice this? It's not running when I'm at home or at work.

I assume Apple can tell you are moving (GPS, Cell Towers) and then queries the phone to see how fast you are moving.

Personally, I don't like that.

I know that "Traffic" is required for you to use "Apple Maps", but why? Don't you get your data from Tom Tom and others?

If I don't have Maps open (thus no need for traffic info), why should it be running?

Why do you need to use my data and battery for this? And, it doesn't appear that you even use the data from us.

Yes, I know I can turn it off, but that renders Maps even more useless than it is.

(And god, Apple, your color scheme is terrible. Yellow highway....then overlay dotted red and orange???? So hard to see and barely gives you any data at all)

Where's Green? That would be helpful. What is Google going to sue you if you use Green?

And Maps, while being "pretty", *****. I want to use it...but man you are making it difficult.

And Apple, please approve the Google Map App. We all know it is there, waiting for you to approve. Do it.

AJ

iphone 4s

iOS6

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:18 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2012 4:23 PM in response to ajrunner

if you have the 'location services' arrow in the top right corner of your phone, it means the location service is running. it's hard to tell which app is running it, because any number of apps that you can download will ask permission to access location services. You can close apps out of multitasking that could be running location servies by double-tapping the home button, holding down an app til it wiggles, then pressing the minus sign that appears on the app that you wish to close out of. Not all of these apps are running in the background, so don't be scared if all your apps are in this multitasking pane. It just means they've been used recently. However, location services can continue running even if the app is not currently being used.

Oct 3, 2012 5:33 PM in response to amy_lou

Amy,

1. You didn't read my post. I don't have any apps open. (Line #1)

2. I know how to close apps...

3. It is easy to tell what app is running "location services"

Go into it or System Services and a "purple arrow" shows up where it was recently used.

4. Since traffic is only used by "Maps"....as far as I can tell, why should it be running if Maps is not open?

And why is it only "On" when I'm driving?

If you look, there is a function called "startMonitoringSignificantLocationChanges" that apps can call.

This suggests that there is internal logic to track when a person is moving. Ok.

So why is Traffic working when Maps is closed, how much data is it using (because for me, it isn't on partially, it's on most of the time while I'm in the car), and what the h*ll else is it doing? Why didn't the old Maps require it to be on? (because it didn't, I had Traffic shut off).

Thanks for the reply, but next time please read the post first.

AJ

Oct 3, 2012 7:07 PM in response to Joe5150

I have everything turned off but what I listed in the original post. Why is this hard to understand? Do people not read the post and just reply?

Here's what I have on in Location Services:

-- Find My iphone

-- Maps

In System Services (at the bottom of Location Services):

-- Traffic

AMY: I'm not talking about other Location Services. I'm talking about "Traffic" very specifically.

Please stop replying when you clearly don't understand my post.

Oct 3, 2012 7:20 PM in response to ajrunner

Well, I have had Traffic off on my iPhone, so I turned it on. It did not start using anything as far as location services were concerned. I opened Maps, and since I have that turned on in location services, it immediately showed the arrow icon to show it was using my loccation. I'm sitting in the house now, so it is different from what you mention, but I closed maps, and a short time later the icon was gone. I checked the iOS 6 user manual and in looking up Privacy and location services, it does not mention much about system services except that it is there and will show if something is turned on. Even after leaving Maps open for a bit, traffic never requested location data. Maybe this is because I do not have a route requested in Maps. I agree that with Maps closed it should not be requesting traffic data, but then again, sometimes things don't always happen logically. I'll try and test a route in Maps and see if that changes it.

Oct 3, 2012 9:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the info Chris.

I've been sitting here (watching the debate), doing similar things as you with the same results.

However, I've really only noticed this when I'm in the car. So I'm wondering if it isn't related to "moving"...(GPS, Cell towers picking it up).

I'm going to play with it more tomorrow...maybe I can get my fiance to drive me around so I can sit in the passenger seat and focus on it. 🙂

AJ

Oct 3, 2012 9:39 PM in response to ajrunner

I agree that it may have something to do with following a route that has been programmed into Maps. Then again, why would it not release after you are done? I cannot answer that.Since I haven't used the new Maps to try a routing and then move in the vehicle, I haven't seen what it does as far as traffic concerned. I do remember reading somewhere (and I wish I could remember where), that traffic was supposed to use information from Maps and the route to determine vehicle speeds to report congestion to other devices. While it does not identify the actual user, or the iPhone, it will result in some type of data transfer. Ah, those tradeoffs we endure for the sake of technolgy. Good luck in continued research.

iOS6 Traffic System Service running without Maps Open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.