Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS/SMB Folder Permissions

I can't seem to create folder's to which I have write access from OSX on my NAS. From OSX, I have tried connecting via SMB/CIFS, and can create a folder in the root and any subdirectory of the NAS, but when I go to manipulate the contents of said folder, finder says that I don't have the necessary permissions. I have to either telnet in to the device, or can easily use any windows PC and give full control to "everyone". If I create a new directory from a windows PC, my Mac and every other PC can read and write to it just fine, except again - any subdirectories created on OSX can not be written to without using a PC to properly set up the permissions.

The NAS is a hard drive attached to an Asus RT-N66U router, and is set up to give everyone read-write access to the drive. All my windows PCs work beautifuly with the NAS, and I've tried everying in this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196311?start=60&tstart=0 that would seem to apply.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:18 PM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2013 11:01 AM in response to amd2800barton

I had the same thing on a NAS NVX Business Edition (NETGEAR)

What i did was Command+K to connect to server (cifs://192.168.###.###/users)

The share had full guest rights! But when i try to rename a folder or anything it would ask for a passwork but it said "you do not have specified privilages."

So i wiped the connection and tried all over again.

connected to the server (above)

A prompt will pop up and ask you to connect as guest or a "registered user"

In security settings on the nas i have a user and password but it wouldnt work. So when it asked for registered user i used the login for the NAS itself and it worked. Now i have free reign!

I hope this helped im a noob to macbook and im trying to pry myself from windows.

NAS/SMB Folder Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.