Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens if i delete my icloud account

I'm trying to set up a different iCloud account (seperate from the rest of my families). I already made my own apple ID but not sure how to change the iCloud account. Do I have to delete the old iCloud account in order to create a new one? THANKS!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:31 PM

15 replies

Feb 26, 2013 9:14 AM in response to MissieWong

Hello miss Wong,

I would like to ask you if this will work or my case as well:

my sister just gave me her iPad and I'd like to get an own iCloud account. Still I'm afraid to delete hers cause she has also an iPhone and I really wouldn't like to delete her account at all but just remove it from this pad. What would be the wisest thing to do? And thank you very much for your attention in advance.

Oct 3, 2012 6:40 PM in response to smithlm2

If you go into settings and go to Icloud you can delete the account at the bottmom, it will just remove it as your primary account. I suggest you have things like your data backed up to a computer. Alls deleteing does is remove it as your selected icloud account. If you ever wanted to log back in with that one you can. I just suggest you have everything backed up onto a computer/laptop first though. And once it is removed you just sign in with your other icloud account. I think when you delete it it asks if you want to keep your contacts and things like that. I'm sure you can work it out from there.

Hope this helps!

Feb 28, 2013 8:25 PM in response to Mafromrm

Hello 'Mafromrm'.

Right, well on my IPhone 4G I have pressed the 'delete account' button in the ICloud settings before and alls it does is remove the ICloud account from your device and any data that is saved with ICloud will be removed from the device, for example contacts. If your contacts are saved with ICloud and you delete the account from the device they will be removed. How ever you are talking about an IPad so that shouldn't be a problem. Alls the 'delete account' button does is remove the data from the device that's saved with the account. It won't do anything to the actual account. Because you can just log back in again. I did it with mine and then I just logged back in again and all my contacts were restored. If you want to delete your sisters account from the IPad alls you have to do is go into settings, go into 'ICloud', scroll down to the bottom and press 'Delete Account'. It doesn't do anything to the account but remove it from the device (which can always be logged back into). And then basically just set up yours from there! If you're unsure just back up the data onto a computer. But alls it actually does is log you out of that account. Hope this helped. Missie Wong x

Feb 28, 2013 8:30 PM in response to willjms9

Hey Will, the problem with this is I don't think you can be logged into two ICloud accounts at once. So if you want your notes and images to be at hand then I suggest backing them up to a computer so you can get to them easily without switching between ICloud accounts. Unfortunately with getting a new ICloud account it starts a fresh with your device, so anything you have saved with your other account will be removed until you log back in with it. I say just back them up to a computer. I don't really understand why you would be in need of another account. Is it another ICloud account you want to log in with or is it an ITunes account? I'm a bit confused. -Missie Wong.

what happens if i delete my icloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.