Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 1st Generation (2001) doesn't show up on computer

I have an iPod M8541 1st Generation clickwheel, Firewire400. It is working fine, but I haven't updated the music on it for years - and now it doesn't show up anymore.

First it doesn't show up in the Finder, and is not being found by Disk Utility. When I connect it via another Firewire device it shows up in the Finder, but not in iTunes.

I tried to find an update that can be done without iTunes, and downloaded iPodUpdater2006-01-10, but when I ran the installer it said it was already installed.

Downloaded iTunes 6.0.5, but this one can't open because my iTunes-Library is too new. I could trash my Library and re-install an old iTunes, but I'd be very thankful for any suggestions before doing that...

Thank you!

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPod 1st Generation (2001)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:37 PM

12 replies

Oct 4, 2012 6:46 AM in response to AppleJuice_

Do you have another Mac you could try it on? I assume you are using the same cable that was originally included with this iPod.

When I connect it via another Firewire device it shows up in the Finder, but not in iTunes.

Can you elaborate on what this other Firewire device is?

Kudos to still using such an old iPod. 😝

B-rock

Oct 4, 2012 11:30 AM in response to planb77

Thanks for the kudos - I love this pod! Not too cool for old school 😉

Unfortunately my MacBook Pro doesn't have Firewire400, only 800, while the iPods only outlet is a 400. (Are there cross cables?)

So I can't try it on another Computer, but I did try different FW-cables on my iMac Intel DuoCore with Mac OSX 10.6.8.

The Pod is fully charged.

The other FW-device was a 20GB LaCie Pocket-Drive, and I've also tried it now on a LaCie d2 Quadra with external power, which has both FW-plugs. It does show on the desktop and in Disk Utility, but not in iTunes.

I just sold my old iBook, could have tried there. 😟

I'm pasting the info System Profiler shows, it's in German but the important stuff should hopefully be decipherable:

iPod Unit:

Softwareversion: 0x10483

Spec-ID: 0x609E

Firmware-Version: 0xA2700

Version des Produkts: 1.10

Untereinheiten:

iPod SBP-LUN:

Kapazität: 5,01 GB (5.007.744.000 Byte)

Wechselmedien: Ja

BSD-Name: disk3

Partitionstabellentyp: APM (Apple Partition Map)

S.M.A.R.T.-Status: Nicht unterstützt NOT SUPPORTED

Volumes:

Kapazität: 32 KB (31.744 Byte)

Beschreibbar: Nein

BSD-Name: disk3s1

Kapazität: 33,5 MB (33.524.224 Byte)

Beschreibbar: Ja

BSD-Name: disk3s2

iPod:

Kapazität: 4,97 GB (4.974.187.520 Byte)

Verfügbar: 9,9 MB (9.879.552 Byte)

Beschreibbar: Ja

Dateisystem: HFS+

BSD-Name: disk3s3

Mount-Point: /Volumes/iPod

Any idea besides downgradig iTunes? Thanks a lot in advance!

Oct 4, 2012 12:01 PM in response to AppleJuice_

So it is properly recognized by the your Mac OS X system, but just not iTunes.

I know this may seem like overkill, but a handful of other users who had this same issue (although not necessarily the same generation iPod) were able to get the iPod to appear in iTunes after doing a low level reformat of the iPod's hard drive using Disk Utility. See this article for instructions if necessary.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/erase/

B-rock

Oct 4, 2012 12:58 PM in response to planb77

Thanks.

The trouble I have with the suggestions of erasing / restoring the iPod is that A) the pod is working, not frozen or flashing something, and B) that iTunes is supposed to do the job. What if iTunes doesn't recognize the iPod as such but regards it as any other external hard drive and hence does not show it in the "devices" list?

I'm scared that if I earse it it will never be an iPod again, but a fancy 5GB (!lol!) hard drive. I have all the music on my computer, I just want to keep using it as an iPod...

Also, I'm not sure as to why it doesn't show in the Finder when plugged in without a Firewire hard drive in between... -> perhaps the reason iTunes doesn't see it? (iTunes checking only the primary hubs?)

My external LaCie FW-drive without external power does show, the pod does not. Maybe I should fix that problem first - ...don't tell me erasing would fix exactly that?? 🙂

So, I guess I would do that if erasing really doesn't downgrade the pod to a simple hard drive - do you know if that can happen (e.g. erasing the pod-unit...)?

Mar 2, 2014 8:18 AM in response to AppleJuice_

Hi AppleJuice_,

I'm having a similar problem with my iPod 1st gen 5GB. I have a black macbook with a firewire 400 port and running 10.6.8 with itunes 11.1.5. When I plug the ipod in, it launches itunes automaticaly, but the ipod does not show up in itunes nor does it show up in finder. If I unplug the ipod, I get the "disk not ejected properly" message even though, I don't have any option to eject the disk in finder or itunes. If I put the ipod into disk mode, it is recognized by disk utlity only. I have tried erasing using disk utility, but it always fails. Did you have sucess earasing your ipod or do you have any other insight into what I'm facing? Thanks!

Mar 2, 2014 1:38 PM in response to marea01

With the latest iTunes, the sidebar (along left side of window) may be hidden. To show the sidebar, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When connected, the iPod should appear in the sidebar, under DEVICES. It does not appear there?

It is normal for the iPod to NOT appear in Finder, if disk use is NOT enable in the iPod's settings.

iPod 1st Generation (2001) doesn't show up on computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.