Announcement: Get ready for iOS 13 and iPadOS

Brand new features for your iPhone and iPad are coming soon. Learn what you need to do >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: I have an iPhone with issues, MEID and jailbroken

I would like to start with "I know nothing".

My iPhone was purchased directly from the Apple store, I've never tried to jailbreak or unlock it, so I don't know much. I'm trying to help a buddy out and sell this phone for him, but its getting complicted.

A friend of mine was given an iPhone 4S from a friend, who said it was jailbroken and with a clean ESN.

My friend needs a little cash so I'm going to sell it for him, but I don't want to sell something I'm not 100% about, and I'm so curious about all of its little issues

It is a

Verizon iPhone 4S 16GB

They both swear it is jailbroken. With all of the googling I have done, I cannot find a way to confirm that it is jailbroken.

There are no weird apps, none of the factory installed apps are deleted, etc.

Is there a foolproof way to determine whether or not it is jailbroken?

Also

I called Verizon with the MEID to see if it was clean or not, and she said "device not found"

An MEID is supposed to start with a letter (A-F)

The MEID on this iPhone starts with "990..."

It is the same as the IMEI with the exception of the last number

What is going on with this phone?

Thanks 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on

Oct 3, 2012 9:53 PM in response to KileyHD In response to KileyHD

Unfortunately, we won't be able to help you with your phone on this forum. If it has been jailbroken, it will no longer qualify for warranty or support. A phone with an incorrect MEID or any ID will not be honored on any carrier, and should not be sold.

Cydia will be present on a jailbroken phone.

Oct 3, 2012 9:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2012 10:10 PM in response to KileyHD In response to KileyHD

A valid Verizon MEID will begin with a letter as you wrote.

You can check it yourself here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/estore/certifieddevice/cd

This may should interest you: iPhone 4s Bad MEID

What is going on with this phone?

Something you should not get involved with IMO.

Oct 3, 2012 10:10 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: KileyHD

Question: I have an iPhone with issues, MEID and jailbroken